AKAI GX-280D-SS Operator's manual

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same deck, the sales brochure, and an original service manual I purchased off Ebay (not one of those cheap copies) but we couldn't find the owners' manual for the deck when I got the Akai system from the original owner's family.
The only things I haven't played with are the SRT and SOS features, nor do I really ever intend to. I have no need to do any sound-on-sound multi-track recording to reel tape and standard tape equalization is fine by me. The rest of the unit is pretty much self-explanatory if you're familiar with reel decks at all. If you have any specific questions I can try my best to help you out with them.
The SRT feature, according to the sales brochure, is for Akai's Super-Range Tape equalization feature to improve frequency response on low-noise tape. Sound-On-Sound usually lets you record on certain channels (tracks) while playing from/listening to other channels (tracks) simultaneously and keeps the original and new tracks in sync with each other for future simultaneous playpack by using the record head for both record and playback so that the tracks remain in time with each other. During the record process the tracks being recorded to get laid down by their sections of the record head and the tracks being monitored get picked up by their sections of the record head as I recall although I've never done it with this deck and I don't see any way to choose which tracks you do and don't want recorded... Most decks with S.O.S. had actual "record enable" buttons for each track independently. This one doesn't appear to have that. Once the stop button is pressed, playback duty for all channels (tracks) returns to the playback head for much better playback fidelity.

I hope that helps!

Thomas
Quadradude
Akai AS980 Receiver
with Built-In CD-4, SQ/Logic, RM/Matrix/QS Decoders
Akai GX-280D-SS Q4/S4 Reel Deck
with touch controls and "4-Track Stereo" auto-reverse mode
Akai CR-80D-SS Q8/S8 Cartridge 8-Track Deck
with Q8/S8 auto-select, Record/Play, Fast-Forward, etc.
Sony PS-FL7II Linear Turntable
Front-Loading, wireless remote option, etc. AT CD-4 Cartridge installed.
Harman Kardon ADP303 Dolby-Digital 5.1 Decoder with 6 channel output
Internal sub/center redirects to original channels for full content 4D out!
Sony PlayStation 2 - DVD/CD/Game Player
Optical AC-3 Digital Output feeds HK DD5.1 Decoder
Akai SW-136 3-Way Speakers, pair
Originally bought for Rear, using as Front due to ceiling height limits.
Akai SW-156 4-Way Speakers, pair
Originally bought for Front, using as rear due to ceiling height limits.

***Note that I did not choose or purchase the receiver and speakers new.
I wish the speakers were all the same but I've adjusted their crossover controls to match them as closely as possible for optimum 4D listening results.
I inherited the receiver, all 4 speakers, and the reel deck in 2003 (mostly broken, some but not all original "owner's manual" paperwork included) from my best friend's grandfather (the original owner) upon his passing away that summer and I have partially restored them all to mostly operational as time allows me to tinker, I bought the Q8 deck used with a dead rear channel many years ago and recently stumbled upon the part I needed to repair it by accident so it's back up to 100% (YAY!), I was given the Sony Linear turntable (broken) on barter for work done and repaired it (arm tracking belt), I purchased the used HK DD5.1 Decoder by choice specifically for use with my 4D Quadraphonic system, and the Sony PS2 belongs to my roommate.

Quadradude said:
I have the same deck, the sales brochure, and an original service manual I purchased off Ebay (not one of those cheap copies) but we couldn't find the owners' manual for the deck when I got the Akai system from the original owner's family.
The only things I haven't played with are the SRT and SOS features, nor do I really ever intend to. I have no need to do any sound-on-sound multi-track recording to reel tape and standard tape equalization is fine by me. The rest of the unit is pretty much self-explanatory if you're familiar with reel decks at all. If you have any specific questions I can try my best to help you out with them.
The SRT feature, according to the sales brochure, is for Akai's Super-Range Tape equalization feature to improve frequency response on low-noise tape. Sound-On-Sound usually lets you record on certain channels (tracks) while playing from/listening to other channels (tracks) simultaneously and keeps the original and new tracks in sync with each other for future simultaneous playpack by using the record head for both record and playback so that the tracks remain in time with each other. During the record process the tracks being recorded to get laid down by their sections of the record head and the tracks being monitored get picked up by their sections of the record head as I recall although I've never done it with this deck and I don't see any way to choose which tracks you do and don't want recorded... Most decks with S.O.S. had actual "record enable" buttons for each track independently. This one doesn't appear to have that. Once the stop button is pressed, playback duty for all channels (tracks) returns to the playback head for much better playback fidelity.

I hope that helps!

Thomas
Quadradude
Akai AS980 Receiver

I wish the speakers were all the same but I've adjusted their crossover controls to match them as closely as possible for optimum 4D listening results.
I inherited the receiver, all 4 speakers, and the reel deck in 2003 (mostly broken, some but not all original "owner's manual" paperwork included) from my best friend's grandfather (the original owner) upon his passing away that summer and I have partially restored them all to mostly operational as time allows me to tinker, I bought the Q8 deck used with a dead rear channel many years ago and recently stumbled upon the part I needed to repair it by accident so it's back up to 100% (YAY!), I was given the Sony Linear turntable (broken) on barter for work done and repaired it (arm tracking belt), I purchased the used HK DD5.1 Decoder by choice specifically for use with my 4D Quadraphonic system, and the Sony PS2 belongs to my roommate.

Thomas:

I found a guy that's working on getting me the owner's manual scanned and sent, and I shall be hosting it soon. So far he sent me the one page that explains the SOS feature, and I would be happy to email that page for you, as well as let you know when the entire operator's manual is available for download.

Any chance you could scan the service manual and brochure for me?

Thanks,

Michael J. Brenegan
USAR, Retired

Quadradude said:

I hope that helps!

Thomas
Quadradude
Akai AS980 Receiver

I just got a cd full of jpg scans of the operator's manual, and will give you the url as soon as I can get it posted on the d/l pages 'in progress'. Any chance you can reciprocate on getting me a scan or pdf of the service manual. I'd like to post that as well. :)

Thanks,

Michael J. Brenegan
USAR, Retired

Quadradude said:

I hope that helps!

Thomas
Quadradude
Akai AS980 Receiver

Quadradude:

My need for the GX280D-SS service manual has just escallated, I was trying to record me and a friend playing live, and while both channels levels were fine, there was no recording on the right front channel. They both play fine on a tape that was previously recorded, so I suspect a problem with that channel rec circuitry, and will first try to just clean the heads, but I fear I might need the schematics and service manual, because Murphy usually doesn't cooperate so easily.

Any chance to fire up your scanner?

Also, I have that operator's manual online now for you to d/l if you wish.

Thanks,

Michael J. Brenegan,
USAR, Retired

Leroy Marshall said:
Mike,
I too have that deck. How could I get a
download of the owners manual?
Thanks,
Leroy Marshall

Leroy:

The d/l area pages for this forum aren't fully setup but I have that operator's manual available at: http://cap.vapor.com/quad/operator/AKAI_GX280D-SS/

Just click on the first thumbnail to start the slideshow, and keep clicking next to go to the page you need, then click on that, and when it loads in the browser, shift right click download it. If you want all the pages, just keep hitting back to return the the slideshow, then next pic, then click on it so it loads in the browser fullsize, then do the shift click d/l thing.

Michael J. Brenegan
USAR, Retired

Captain Quad's pages are still there. I wonder what ever happened to him?

If anybody needs me to host pictures, please let me know. Or movies. Or whatever.

Back