Steven Wilson Aeolus (new album from Theo Travis & Steven Wilson, Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos and 5.1 mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
https://burningshed.com/theo-travis_aeolus_cd_blu-ray

Aeolus is a one hour Theo Travis piece for duduk composed by Theo with Steven Wilson (who produced the recordings and assembled soundscapes derived from Theo’s alto flute playing).

A stunning and utterly unique piece of work, the CD/Blu-Ray of Aeolus helps to define new possibilities for “immersive audio”, without losing focus on the pure sound and inherent musicality of Theo’s duduk improvisations.

The Blu-Ray features Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound and 24/96 high resolution stereo of Aeolus, and hi-res stereo of the hour long Ancient Soul, Modern Times (which has amassed over a million views on YouTube).

When Theo Travis began experimenting with long-form improvised instrumentals for duduk - a woodwind instrument from Armenia sometimes described as ‘the saddest sounding instrument in the world’ - he could hardly have imagined a world in which such a one-hour piece would clock up in excess of a million plays on YouTube. Yet that is precisely what happened, with the multi-functional music finding fans purely in its own terms as well as for an array of uses from meditation to yoga, to relaxation and more. Something about the sound, the performances, the context, found, built and maintained a much wider audience than most, far more mainstream music. All of this was achieved without hype, marketing or a dedicated record label supporting the release.

Extending the idea, earlier this year Theo worked with Steven Wilson to produce a new duduk improvisation in multi-channel audio as well as stereo.

Aeolus: Composed by Theo Travis and Steven Wilson
Theo Travis – Duduk and Alto flute
Steven Wilson – Production & Soundscapes

Ancient Soul, Modern Times: Composed by Theo Travis
Theo Travis – Duduk & Soundscapes

CD
Aeolus (60mins)

Blu-ray
Aeolus (60 mins)
Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA Surround (5.1) & 24/96 LPCM stereo

Aeolus (4 min edit)
24/96 LPCM stereo.

Ancient Soul, Modern Times (60 mins)
24/96 LPCM stereo.

theo-travis_aeolus_cd_blu-ray.jpg

I saw Theo Travis with The Soft Machine in Cincinnati, OH at Ludlow Garage a few years back and what a nice guy
in addition to his impreccable expression and musicianship on various woodwind and keyboard instruments. I spoke to him about releasing some of his work in Dolby Atmos treatment by SW. I also expressed interested in his alto flute and duduk playing on his video
on YouTube.

It's great to see this magnificent musician thrive musically and independently.

Attachments

• DSCF2103.JPG
    DSCF2103.JPG
    930.2 KB · Views: 0
Not my tempo but objectively nice stuff, and it goes without saying -- Theo's a great wind player. I'll be tempted into this in the aftermarket. Don't mind having some curiosity recordings in the collection.

Back