Flaming Lips Yoshimi Atmos Blu-ray out November 1st, 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a concept, I’m not overly happy about Atmos remixes of existing, excellent 5.1 mixes.

But dayummm. Talk about hearing things you’ve never heard before.

Bring on the blu-ray, which features a 2nd album, also mixed in Atmos, titled American Head, according to rhino’s site:
https://www.rhino.com/article/the-f...shimi-battles-the-pink-robots-blu-ray-edition

Exciting stuff, @ForagingRhino

YOWSA
So far, American Head is only listed as available streaming on the Rhino site. Did I miss somerhing?

As a concept, I’m not overly happy about Atmos remixes of existing, excellent 5.1 mixes.

Bring on the blu-ray, which features a 2nd album, also mixed in Atmos, titled American Head, according to rhino’s site:
https://www.rhino.com/article/the-f...shimi-battles-the-pink-robots-blu-ray-edition

YOWSA

13 Atmos tracks listed in the blu-ray contents.

I think that's another instance of carelessly/sloppily/misleadingly written publicity. The Atmos mix of American Head is (so far) streaming only--what's referred to on the page you linked as a "Digital Edition"--but not included on the Blu-Ray. (Tracklist for the Blu-Ray includes 11 audio tracks with Atmos, 5.1, and 2.0 mixes + 5 music videos. The two tracklists immediately below that are for the streaming "Digital Editions" of Yoshimi and American Head, respectively.)

Hopefully American Head will eventually get its own Blu-Ray release?

Hmmm... I wonder if digital album is an entirely different thing than the blu-ray. Though the digital album of Yoshimi and American Head are listed like, right under the blu-ray. Kinda looks like blu-ray contents. If AH is streaming-only, that's ok with me. I'm still excited about the Yoshimi Atmos mix on blu-ray.

Hmmm... I wonder if digital album is an entirely different thing than the blu-ray. Though the digital album of Yoshimi and American Head are listed like, right under the blu-ray. Kinda looks like blu-ray contents. If AH is streaming-only, that's ok with me. I'm still excited about the Yoshimi Atmos mix on blu-ray.
Digital album = streaming

YOWSA

So that link has a link to stream Amazon Music ATMOS. Is there a way to play that in surround through an ATMOS receiver?

It should if you have a 4k fire stick attached to your AVR
The all-new Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K supports Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2-channel stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 5.1.. Dolby Atmos is only available on select streaming services and on select titles with compatible home audio systems.

Good grief, the hardcore Atmos restrictions keep coming! Seems incredibly misguided. The lossy variant seems misguided as well.
Anyway, that Zaireeka album is a natural put to 7.1.2. or 5.1.4. They had an "Atmos" album way ahead of the curve with that!

Back