Introducing Shermatz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI ALL let me share a little background since I'm new here, I joined last month (June '24) after finding the site via my longtime subscription to Stereophile.

I'm an old-timer (I guess), now aged 66 and grateful to be around to complain about it. I had the good fortune to be around during the original flowering of the Quad era, 1970-76, and my first receiver circa 1973 or so was a very bottom-line Technics (15 watts total output) that WAS equipped with quad "superpowers". When I bought my home in 1983, I ceiling-mounted 4 speakers on suspended wooden shelves, and while the speakers have changed over decades, this has been my primary configuration for my main living room system, 28' by 14', more than amply served by 4 Polk bookshelf speakers.

I like all things audio/video BUT I wouldn't quite classify myself as an "audiophile". I don't have the technical grounding to argue with anyone about "Class A/Class B topologies" or anything like that. Reading Stereophile, I'm poleaxed monthly being reminded how there is absolutely NO upper limit to what you can spend on AV gear. (Stereophile has great writers, though, and they DO cover mainline receivers/speakers/turntables, I hasten to add.) I've been fortunate to be able to acquire more than enough gear to deploy a full 7.1 array in my main living room ALONG WITH a working vintage Technics quad receiver of the '70's for whenever I want to go full retro.

Like many members here, my first musical allegiance is to the happening genre of my teen years, progressive rock. In addition to the usual suspects, Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc., those of us who have kept the candle burning know that there's a substantial "underground" of proggers who never really gave up after the '70's peak receded. I'm not nearly so snobbish now as I was as a young hothead, but I must say that I've got limited patience with other genres. At the same time that I was acquiring the progrock bug, I was equally exposed to the jazz fusion giants of the '70's, Miles Davis, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, etc. Inexplicably, I never really "got" fusion jazz, though I still sample it occasionally, wondering what I'm missing. I don't stream, I'm 100% into "Physical Media" even though it really does complicate our lives for storage after a few decades of acquisition.

I'm happy to find some kindred spirits here and share "woodcraft" regarding care & feeding of our systems, new sources for obscure multi-channel releases, and "life in general" adjacent to the multi-channel "lifestyle" HA, whatever THAT is. Cheerio! (I'm not English, Iowa native, and mostly glad to live here.)

HI ALL let me share a little background since I'm new here, I joined last month (June '24) after finding the site via my longtime subscription to Stereophile.

I'm an old-timer (I guess), now aged 66 and grateful to be around to complain about it. I had the good fortune to be around during the original flowering of the Quad era, 1970-76, and my first receiver circa 1973 or so was a very bottom-line Technics (15 watts total output) that WAS equipped with quad "superpowers". When I bought my home in 1983, I ceiling-mounted 4 speakers on suspended wooden shelves, and while the speakers have changed over decades, this has been my primary configuration for my main living room system, 28' by 14', more than amply served by 4 Polk bookshelf speakers.

I like all things audio/video BUT I wouldn't quite classify myself as an "audiophile". I don't have the technical grounding to argue with anyone about "Class A/Class B topologies" or anything like that. Reading Stereophile, I'm poleaxed monthly being reminded how there is absolutely NO upper limit to what you can spend on AV gear. (Stereophile has great writers, though, and they DO cover mainline receivers/speakers/turntables, I hasten to add.) I've been fortunate to be able to acquire more than enough gear to deploy a full 7.1 array in my main living room ALONG WITH a working vintage Technics quad receiver of the '70's for whenever I want to go full retro.

Like many members here, my first musical allegiance is to the happening genre of my teen years, progressive rock. In addition to the usual suspects, Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc., those of us who have kept the candle burning know that there's a substantial "underground" of proggers who never really gave up after the '70's peak receded. I'm not nearly so snobbish now as I was as a young hothead, but I must say that I've got limited patience with other genres. At the same time that I was acquiring the progrock bug, I was equally exposed to the jazz fusion giants of the '70's, Miles Davis, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, etc. Inexplicably, I never really "got" fusion jazz, though I still sample it occasionally, wondering what I'm missing. I don't stream, I'm 100% into "Physical Media" even though it really does complicate our lives for storage after a few decades of acquisition.

I'm happy to find some kindred spirits here and share "woodcraft" regarding care & feeding of our systems, new sources for obscure multi-channel releases, and "life in general" adjacent to the multi-channel "lifestyle" HA, whatever THAT is. Cheerio! (I'm not English, Iowa native, and mostly glad to live here.)
What a great self intro! Welcome aboard! The depth of total knowledge in the forum is incredible. The search tool is your friend.

What a lovely load of Shermatz!

Welcome to QQ!

Looking forward to reading your future posts.

Last edited:
Back