Joni Mitchell's LADIES OF THE CANYON on MFSL SACD shortly

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.A.L.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
And I'm sort of bummed about that. First, apart from that late live DVD in 5.1, Joni had no music available in surround
until the recent -- and fabulous! -- Quadios of the FOR THE ROSES -> SUMMER LAWNS period. Yet it is the earlier periods
that are the "true" Joni to me, and up to now the best recordings for that were the HDCD series. So here's my problem.
The HDCD LADIES OF THE CANYON sounds fantastic with my Oppo that handles such. So is it worth going to SACD,
when plainly that means no surround version will be had? (Thanks, MFSL) I'll probably get it (damn, that Simon & Garfunkle
PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, & THYME was audially fantastic on MFSL SACD!). But I feel a missed opportunity here for 5.1,
at least.

[edit: BLUE is under the same consideration; I have the HDCD, but. . . .]

Last edited:
And I'm sort of bummed about that. First, apart from that late live DVD in 5.1, Joni had no music available in surround
until the recent -- and fabulous! -- Quadios of the FOR THE ROSES -> SUMMER LAWNS period. Yet it is the earlier periods
that are the "true" Joni to me, and up to now the best recordings for that were the HDCD series. So here's my problem.
The HDCD LADIES OF THE CANYON sounds fantastic with my Oppo that handles such. So is it worth going to SACD,
when plainly that means no surround version will be had? (Thanks, MFSL) I'll probably get it (damn, that Simon & Garfunkle
PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, & THYME was audially fantastic on MFSL SACD!). But I feel a missed opportunity here for 5.1,
at least.

[edit: BLUE is under the same consideration; I have the HDCD, but. . . .]
I certainly agree wholeheartedly, ALL of Joni's early albums including LADIES should be remixed for Dolby ATMOS/5.1 and even QUAD! I also have the HDCD CDs of Blue and Ladies but when I played the MoFi Stereo SACD of S&G's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme through the SUPER DSP mode of my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro I was absolutely stunned at how discretely it was decoded.....almost as though it was already remixed for surround!

Until RHINO/WARNER/REPRISE remix Joni's early albums in surround, it would be a safe bet that MoFi's Stereo SACD of Ladies would sound infinitely better than the existing HDCD CD!

I certainly agree wholeheartedly, ALL of Joni's early albums including LADIES should be remixed for Dolby ATMOS/5.1 and even QUAD! I also have the HDCD CDs of Blue and Ladies but when I played the MoFi Stereo SACD of S&G's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme through the SUPER DSP mode of my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro I was absolutely stunned at how discretely it was decoded.....almost as though it was already remixed for surround!

Until RHINO/WARNER/REPRISE remix Joni's early albums in surround, it would be a safe bet that MoFi's Stereo SACD of Ladies would sound infinitely better than the existing HDCD CD!
Great! Thanks! Just know my wallet hates you :cautious:

Back