Marillion “This Strange Engine” (Deluxe Edition with 5.1 mix out in November!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
No surprise this is coming but here’s the first look

1718114776600.png

It does say original 1997 album remixed so pretty sure that means new stereo & 5.1 surround mixes, just like all the other deluxe sets
I would agree. Seems far fetched to have many surround releases already for sale and not have this one, maybe the hype sticker will change to reflect that when we get closer?

Man of a Thousand Faces is a great tune as well that works much better when played live. The energy it transmits to the audience is incredible. Marillion is a great live band, I really recommend seeing them live.
Estonia and the title track are also fine songs.
I would have preferred SWT mixing it, but Michael Hunter has improved a lot since his first "ambient" mixes.

This is another one of the many rather interchangeable albums from the Hogarth era that did not do that well either in reviews or sales, so I'll be waiting for reviews of the surround mix (hopefully not just another Hunter 5.1 mix) before purchasing. Several of the songs on this one are pleasant, easy listening but most of the progressive edginess and complexity is long gone.

There's no mention of this on the sticker, but there was an interesting remix of this album by The Positive Light that was released as Tales From The Engine Room (and I believe is still available as a download on the bands website). That remix actually was quite good and transformed a few of the songs into something more interesting and progressive. In particular, they turned Estonia into a nearly 12 minute epic that IMHO is the best thing on the album. I doubt that any of it will be included on this release, which is a shame, but if it were that might guarantee a purchase from me.

This is another one of the many rather interchangeable albums from the Hogarth era that did not do that well either in reviews or sales, so I'll be waiting for reviews of the surround mix (hopefully not just another Hunter 5.1 mix) before purchasing. Several of the songs on this one are pleasant, easy listening but most of the progressive edginess and complexity is long gone.
Some of the songs are indeed very bland, but I would argue that the title song contains perhaps the most progressive edge and complexity that the band had recorded in a very long time. Still a live staple after all those years.

As a long time fan, I will be buying this, but can't say I am very impressed with the announcement so far. The album will doubtlessly benefit from a new mix, but a new mix will not make dirge like "Hope for the future" or "80 days" any more enjoyable. As for the extra material: it would be a miracle if the live footage would turn out to sound great, as the band have never been able to release any half decent sounding audio from the This Strange Engine tour. But who knows, maybe they went all "Peter Jackson revamps Let It Be" on it...

I love this band don’t get me wrong.
For some reason though, they seem to be the only progish band with a significant following to discount the surround mix.

I think the hype sticker shows that a surround mix isn’t a highlighted feature for them.

Their manager pointed out years and years ago that there is no one in the band that connects with a desire to create an immersive mix.

Initial efforts were buried as extras on some DVD releases. I had the impression they were not made with any true intent. Kind of like Mike Hunter had some spare time on his hands and said “I’ll give it a go”.

His mixes have improved over the years but never living up to the to those of comparable acts.

I love what Hunter does in stereo but really wish his surround ear was tuned more towards SW or Bruce S. That being said, I do think he did a great job with AOS given the disarray of masters.

I am fully convinced that if the recently concluded deluxe re-editions were not actually Warner / Parlophone releases (with deep involvement from the band & Fish), the surround mixes wouldn’t have happend in the first place. Money almost certainly would not have been spent on having at least a few of them mixed by someone or a team with a better received track record on surround.

As others have said, this is an inconsistent album for the band. Yes - It does have the incredible title cut and the deeply moving “Estonia” but also some clunkers. If it is a Hunter surround mix - so be it.

My dream though is that some sort of crowd funding campaign surfaces to support a Wilson mix of Marbles.

There are loads of clunkers on the Marillion albums from the last 20 odd years - even on the much praised Marbles. They could also do one blu-ray with a compilation of the audience favourites. Personally I would not want anyone to waste time or resources on the clunkers.

Well I am just gonna have to disagree with you on any clunkers on Marbles. That is a double album masterpiece.

And I also strongly disagree to the statement that they have “loads of clunkers”. Yes, like 99.9% of any band, they do have some clunkers but overall this band is really solid if you like them in general.

I get it if you are not a fan of the overall style or shifts in style from guitar solos to guitar ambience, of Hogarth’s voice or Fish’s voice. But if you like this band you have to be amazed at their track record.

They have survived on their own for 30 years! 30 years since the major labels gave up on them. A band doesn’t maintain a self sustaining fan base these days by having loads of clunkers. I’ll go with bland, interchangeable, pedestrian but not loads of clunkers.

In my book they only have a handful of true clunkers but even with that there are plenty of fans that like those songs that I think are below the band’s pedigree.

I agree with @srbjab that this is probably one of their more interchangeable and least regarded overall albums but the title cut is a 15 minute prog thing of beauty.

Sorry - I just really disagree with you.

Well I am just gonna have to disagree with you on any clunkers on Marbles. That is a double album masterpiece.

And I also strongly disagree to the statement that they have “loads of clunkers”. Yes, like 99.9% of any band, they do have some clunkers but overall this band is really solid if you like them in general.

I get it if you are not a fan of the overall style or shifts in style from guitar solos to guitar ambience, of Hogarth’s voice or Fish’s voice. But if you like this band you have to be amazed at their track record.

They have survived on their own for 30 years! 30 years since the major labels gave up on them. A band doesn’t maintain a self sustaining fan base these days by having loads of clunkers. I’ll go with bland, interchangeable, pedestrian but not loads of clunkers.

In my book they only have a handful of true clunkers but even with that there are plenty of fans that like those songs that I think are below the band’s pedigree.

I agree with @srbjab that this is probably one of their more interchangeable and least regarded overall albums but the title cut is a 15 minute prog thing of beauty.

Sorry - I just really disagree with you.
I have been (and still am) a huge Marillion fan for over 30 years, saw them live on countless occasions. Each album they release features some of the best music that I know. Unfortunately, almost each album contains songs I would not regret never hearing again. And as they have released a lot of albums, there are loads of clunkers as well. All in my humble opinion of course. Be Hard on Yourself, Living in FEAR, Invisible Ink, Lucky Man, Older than Me, Throw me Out, Half the Wold, Faith, Don't hurt yourself, You're gone, Built in bastard radar, Deserve, A few words for the dead, 80 days, Hope for the future, No one Can, etc...

holy cow !!!!!!
1997 Live In Grand Rapids show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was there :)
Pretty much at every Midwest show during the "This Strange Tour" including the Rochester, NY show.
That show was released on CD as a thank you to 2,000 or so fans that donated to tour fund that gave the band the capital to support the the 1997 North American tour. Legend has it that this one of the pioneering efforts of crowdfunding. About 8 years prior to the name term "Crowdfunding:" even being coined.

Damn we were rabid back then.

. All in my humble opinion of course. Be Hard on Yourself, Living in FEAR, Invisible Ink, Lucky Man, Older than Me, Throw me Out, Half the Wold, Faith, Don't hurt yourself, You're gone, Built in bastard radar, Deserve, A few words for the dead, 80 days, Hope for the future, No one Can, etc...

Now come on .... "Your Gone"?
It got to #7 on the UK charts for a week :ROFLMAO:
Now if you mentioned "See It Like A Baby" & "Most Toys" I might have believed you. :p

Plus as a huge Marillion fan you should have drank the cool-aid and swear they do no wrong.

But I'll give you Hope and Faith.

Back