New Guy here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That 70's Sound

Hey fellow Quad fans ;)
I didn't "go Quad" back in the day... and after buying in 1989; a Nakamichi TA-3A (75x2 @8ohms) with 2 black Klipsch Kg-4's, later 2 more Kg-4's plus a Klipsch subwoofer (model? in a horizontal Kg-4 box), I never moved on to "surround sound."
Well I recently happened upon a working Marantz 4140 Quadradial Amp. (with the 4 Blue VU meters):cool: (25x4 or bridged 70x2), so it has now got me interested. It does (luckily?) have the optional SQ decoder installed underneath:). In my vinyl collection I have a Columbia "SQ" LP.

My question is: In the SQ mode, will my current STEREO cartridge/needle be able to perform to give me a "starting point" to hear the SQ LP rear channels? I imagine there are also "Quad specific" cart/needles better suited for the higher frequencies (where the rear channel info is?).

I know I could've dug this up here but I wanted to post after registering, to count as active!
Also if the Marantz is turned passed 1/4 volume it makes loud "pops" out the Kg-4's horn tweeters:yikes (not good!) I hear vintage gear needs the all the capacitors replaced so I hope that fixes it. (It doesn't do it using the :phones headphones)

Back