Noobie with a few quad questions....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richs_trains

I have finally connected my quad receivers with decoders and demodulators and am trying to get a handle on the different formats. CD4 is discrete and requires special equip i.e demodulator and proper cartridge, but do they provide any signal for an SQ decoder? There are SQ and CQ records, do these both play on an SQ decoder or is there something special for CQ. Will my SQ decoder enchance a basic stereo signal or is it looking for the SQ signal and then just mishandles what is there? Thanks in advance.... Rich

Attachments

• 4400_eq130_5020.jpg
    4400_eq130_5020.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 186
CQ was a catalog prefix for Columbia SQ albums, later replaced by PCQ. There are other variations dependant on type of music and affiliated labels (EQ, PEQ, KQ, etc.) See the link below for more info.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

CD-4 is totally incompatible with SQ and QS and playing anything other than a CD-4 record through a demodulator will do nothing.

Playing a stereo LP trough an SQ (or any Matrix) decoder will give you something, but what it will be is random and a function of phase information in the stereo mix.

It's fun to try. And hey, you have to start somewhere!! :)

The CD4 compatible cartridge is OK for the matrixed SQ & QS LPs (that's what I had), if your CD4 demod has a stereo output pair take that to your SQ & QS decoder/amp, and the Quad output to the 4-channel input on the amp. SQ & QS require different matrix decoders to correctly give the Quad outputs. The SQ or QS matrix decoders will do 'something' with a stereo source, depends on the album and how it was mixed.

I have finally connected my quad receivers with decoders and demodulators and am trying to get a handle on the different formats. CD4 is discrete and requires special equip i.e demodulator and proper cartridge, but do they provide any signal for an SQ decoder? There are SQ and CQ records, do these both play on an SQ decoder or is there something special for CQ. Will my SQ decoder enchance a basic stereo signal or is it looking for the SQ signal and then just mishandles what is there? Thanks in advance.... Rich

The receiver has a separate phone and CD-4 input and I have two turntables connected. I use one for the CD-4 and the other for SQ. My real question is are SQ and CQ albums the same format. In other words, will my SQ decoder do anything on a CQ album. I know that QS from Sansui is a different matrix and therefore my SQ decoder does nothing on a QS album. I just don't want to buy albums that will not match my SQ (Marantz) decoder. Thanks Rich

I'm curious, what album is identified as CQ and where do you see the "CQ" marking? Can you share a picture? I've never heard of it.

As Jon said, it is part of a catalog number on some records, but I'm wondering why the confusion. If it says SQ on the album then that's what it is.

CQ was a catalog prefix for Columbia SQ albums, later replaced by PCQ. There are other variations dependant on type of music and affiliated labels (EQ, PEQ, KQ, etc.) See the link below for more info.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

CD-4 is totally incompatible with SQ and QS and playing anything other than a CD-4 record through a demodulator will do nothing.

Playing a stereo LP trough an SQ (or any Matrix) decoder will give you something, but what it will be is random and a function of phase information in the stereo mix.

It's fun to try. And hey, you have to start somewhere!! :)

My god....Thankfully there are DVD-A and BluRays out there we can play without decodes etc

Rich: Those "CQ" discs are QS matrix records...Command Quadraphonic was just a sales title for ABC Records and their affiliates. The only types you are likely to stumble across are CD-4 (discrete) and the two major types of matrix records....SQ and QS. We will leave aside a few other oddball kinds for the time being. John

Do you think it might be a good idea to have either a thread and/or a blog for newbie MCH enthusiast explaining all the different 70s Quad and modern Multichannel systems?
(Although I'm from an older generation which finds "searching for the answer" quite exciting, we are now in the "instant gratification" era, hence, most newbies ask more or less the same questions that could be found in a thread or blog to which they can be directed to.)...or , does it exist already and I can't find it?

I'd be willing to write something if asked to do it-I'm no expert, but I'll "chip in".

It is quite difficult for a newbie to find the "correct" thread to all the craziness that is vintage and modern MCH.
Heck, even I find it difficult to sort it all out.

Yeah, that'd be a good idea Kap..

You know, no matter how hard i try I just cannot fit those CD-4's into my Oppo..

..yet it says it plays CD..

I don't wanna force it and break something..

WOCKA..!!! :ugham:

Back