RHINO QUADIO batch #6 - Speculation Extravaganza!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the chances this classic rock expanded reissue is Yes' Close to Edge? It's next with the Rhino Yes expanded reissues. Plus, there's been some mentioning on the forum about it being slated for a quad release back in the day. Be pretty cool to get an Atmos mix of this and the quad mix on a Blu Ray. It's prog but I think it falls under the umbrella as a classic rock album.
There was a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix done in 2013. It sounds excellent played in Quad!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/yes-close-to-the-edge-dvd-audio-blu-ray.18251/

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/close-to-the-edge-in-atmos.36455/

Last edited:
Reactions: SHB
What's the chances this classic rock expanded reissue is Yes' Close to Edge? It's next with the Rhino Yes expanded reissues. Plus, there's been some mentioning on the forum about it being slated for a quad release back in the day. Be pretty cool to get an Atmos mix of this and the quad mix on a Blu Ray. It's prog but I think it falls under the umbrella as a classic rock album.
it's not "Close to the Edge" but we can probably except a deluxe edition of it sometime soon, probably next year

if it's a classic rock album mixed in Quad, going through the list of WEA Quad titles (which does not include titles that Rhino have acquired the rights to in subsequent decades) it's probably a title like "Stormbringer" or "Muscle of Love".
both Deep Purple and Alice Cooper have had deluxe reissues come out in the last few years, and either one would be welcome

:)

Deep Purple's Stormbringer as a 50th Anniversary Edition would be much welcomed by me. For some reason, I really like this album. Well recorded, and even though Ritchie Blackmore reportedly did not enjoy playing on the album, he layed down some really cool guitar work on this album, playing funky (which he doesn't seem to like) rhythm guitar and some very tasteful lead guitar parts. And then there were some other songs he refused to play a guitar solo on, so we get some more Jon Lord stuff, and also not the typical Hammond B3 organ only, but Fender Rhodes and clavinet or whatever he played. And I do like the combination of Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale on vocals. And the beautiful "Soldier of Fortune" to close out the album is just the icing on the cake.

The old 35th Anniversary DVD contains an approximation of the original Quad mix (messed up to some extent), and it just does not sound very good, so to get the Quad mix in the same mastering style as all the recent Quadio releases, that would be great.

And if it is an anniversary set, perhaps there will be some additional stuff from the era, although I am not sure how much stuff is really left over. There once was talk about a "Made in Europe" box set with some complete live shows from the era.

"Muscle of Love", I think, is only an o.k. album, and there is already the Audio Fidelity SACD which has the Quad mix, so that would not be too interesting for me (but I would still get the new bundle anyhow).

Sounds like we're getting Muscle Of Love.
Can't say I've ever heard it.
I saw Alice Cooper this summer and it was a fun show! I'd be in for more quad mixes.

What if the release featured an alternate version of every track?
I'd be ecstatic if there is a full "alternate version" of an album, and then the quad mix to pair it with. I can see why it would not be a standalone Quadio if there is that much fresh new material there.

And if it were Muscle of Love I'd be that much more excited, as I think it's a great album. It is the last album with the original AC lineup.

Back