Sir Elton is now an EGOT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone's curious about the details, Elton won an Emmy last night in the category of Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for his Disney+ concert special Elton John Live: Farewell from Dodger Stadium.

Here are his other EGOT wins...

Grammys:

1987 -- Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal -- "That's What Friends Are For"
1992 -- Best Instrumental Composition -- "Masque"
1995 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"
1998 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Candle in the Wind 1997"
1999 -- Grammy Legend Award
2001 -- Best Musical Show Album -- Elton John & Tim Rice's Aida

Oscars:

1994 -- Best Original Song -- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (The Lion King)
2019 -- Best Original Song -- "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" (Rocketman)

Tony:

2000 -- Best Original Score -- Aida

That’s right: Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. He can definitely feel the love tonight. Mr. Dwight, what took you so long? I think that you should get together with Liza Minelli and do an EGOT duet of “The Bitch Is Back.” Poor Ralphie can’t decide which audio or video media to pull out to celebrate!
Mr. E., I've been celebrating Sir Elton John most of my adult life and this is the reason he could not accept his award last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-elton-john-did-not-033007995.html
And Elton is the 19th person to attain the EGOT status! The BITCH IS BACK because he NEVER REALLY LEFT!

R.a06b8b969465faea3ef1015b18c1a055

EGADS, AN EGOT!

Last edited:
Mr. E., I've been celebrating Sir Elton John most of my adult life and this is the reason he could not accept his award last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-elton-john-did-not-033007995.html
And Elton is the 19th person to attain the EGOT status! The BITCH IS BACK because he NEVER REALLY LEFT!

R.a06b8b969465faea3ef1015b18c1a055

EGADS, AN EGOT!
So he couldn’t be there to accept the award because he was unable to genuflect the way he had previously done before the Queen? In truth, we should all be the ones who genuflect before Sir Elton!

And Mr. Ralph, how can you say that he never left when he just won an Emmy for a farewell performance? We’re talking Sir Elton here, not the Eagles who schedule a comeback tour after hell freezes over!

At first glance I thought that this might have been a picture of Helen Mirren in “The Queen.” So is this photo really proof of how Mr. Dwight celebrates Januhairy???
And Mr. E., you thought the CROWN JEWELS resided in the Tower of London? Silly boy!

In case anyone's curious about the details, Elton won an Emmy last night in the category of Outstanding Variety Special (Live) for his Disney+ concert special Elton John Live: Farewell from Dodger Stadium.

Here are his other EGOT wins...

Grammys:

1987 -- Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal -- "That's What Friends Are For"
1992 -- Best Instrumental Composition -- "Masque"
1995 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"
1998 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Candle in the Wind 1997"
1999 -- Grammy Legend Award
2001 -- Best Musical Show Album -- Elton John & Tim Rice's Aida

Oscars:

1994 -- Best Original Song -- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (The Lion King)
2019 -- Best Original Song -- "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" (Rocketman)

Tony:

2000 -- Best Original Score -- Aida
What’s remarkable is that none of his classic stuff from the 70s is on this list of Grammys.

What’s remarkable is that none of his classic stuff from the 70s is on this list of Grammys.
Not only that, but he really didn't get a ton of nominations considering his stature and popularity, and some of his most classic work was overlooked entirely -- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was completely shut out, for example.

Here are all of his Grammy nominations prior to his first win in 1987:

1971 -- Best New Artist, and two nominations for the Elton John album: Album of the Year and Best Contemporary Vocal Performance, Male
1972 -- Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture -- Friends
1974 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Daniel"
1975 -- Record of the Year ("Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me") and Album of the Year (Caribou)
1976 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
1977 -- Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal -- "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
1980 -- Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male -- "Mama Can't Buy You Love"
1983 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Blue Eyes"
1985 -- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance -- "Restless"

I think EJ is extremely talented and I really enjoy so much of his music. In fact, Captain Fantastic is probably one of my all time top favorite albums. But many years ago when I was in LA, I got tickets to see Jay Leno and the Tonight Show live. Elton was the guest. And, sorry for this language, but he was a dick. When the cameras went off, he was just a nasty little bitch on stage. Pompous and unfriendly to Leno and the staff. When the cameras came in again, he was Mr super sweet. I'll never forget that and it's really tainted my feelings towards him.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how talented you are, there's no reason to treat people like that.

I think EJ is extremely talented and I really enjoy so much of his music. In fact, Captain Fantastic is probably one of my all time top favorite albums. But many years ago when I was in LA, I got tickets to see Jay Leno and the Tonight Show live. Elton was the guest. And, sorry for this language, but he was a dick. When the cameras went off, he was just a nasty little bitch on stage. Pompous and unfriendly to Leno and the staff. When the cameras came in again, he was Mr super sweet. I'll never forget that and it's really tainted my feelings towards him.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how talented you are, there's no reason to treat people like that.
I agree that there’s no excuse for that kind of behavior. It’s, sadly, all too common among celebrities(not that celebrities have a monopoly on being a dick). I’m not shocked to hear that Sir Elton can act like a diva. It’s no excuse but I wonder where he was at the time with his cocaine use.

As opposed to like when I met Joan Jett and she was an absolute doll. She even let me give her a kiss on the cheek so I could tell people I gave Joan Jett a kiss on the cheek.

Doug

Back