Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" (new Blu-Ray Audio release out in July; A24 Blu-Ray of film now available)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I did find the mastering engineer set the levels for the Atmos mix rather conservatively, there was zero issues with dynamics and turning up the volume control an additional 5-6 dB addressed this with zero issues.
This. I find this is often the case with Atmos mixes.
I have found that lot as well, I suspect that is because the levels in the core have to be lower to allow for the additional embedded channels, as they are extracted for Atmos.

I remember Joe Travers, producer of the Zappa archival releases, specifically mentioning that reduced volume is a requirement of the Atmos delivery specs, so it is common to find an Atmos mix to be “quieter” than a 5.1 mix on the same disc, but turning up the volume will fix that.

There is also a release of the normal non 4K Blu-ray + DVD announced for September. Does it also contain the Dolby Atmos Mix? It is much cheaper (19.99 €) and available throughout most of the known webstores. I'd be fine with this one since I don't really need 4K!

There is also a release of the normal non 4K Blu-ray + DVD announced for September. Does it also contain the Dolby Atmos Mix? It is much cheaper (19.99 €) and available throughout most of the known webstores. I'd be fine with this one since I don't really need 4K!

The Blu Ray version of the expensive A24 bound collectors edition also sported an Atmos soundtrack so it would seem a reasonable assumption @Horbus.

Mine has finally shipped but not due to arrive for another 10 days (on a slow plane to Australia):

I found this in The Digital Bits review which makes this Atmos mix different than the usual with an interesting ‘focus’ approach:

Harrison (band member and Atmo mixer) also made one interesting change throughout the entire Atmos mix that really does enhance the subjective experience of watching Stop Making Sense. Any time that the camera is focused on one of the band members, he subtly dialed up the sound of their instruments (or their voices), and not just during the solos, either—it happens even when the camera cuts to someone who is “only” playing rhythm. It’s a busy mix no matter what, especially when the full expanded band is onstage, but the new change makes it easier to focus on whatever the person in front of the camera is doing. As a result, details that were previously buried in the mix are now much clearer.

I’ve not noticed this mixing style on any previous surround mixes. Has this been done before? @sjcorne
I donno about a surround soundtrack, but I was just reading an interview (on Jake Malooley's Expanding Dan Substack) with Rob Fraboni, chief engineer at Village Recorders in the early 70s and producer of The Last Waltz soundtrack. Listen to this:

"Marty [Scorcese] said to me, “Look, I want to try something. Everything that you see on screen, I want the sound to match it. If there’s an extreme close-up on a vocalist, I want that voice to be unnaturally loud. If there’s a shot from behind the stage, looking out towards the audience, I want the hall to get really loud. And when it comes off of that edit, I want the hall to go away.” In other words, he wanted the sound to match the picture as the camera panned across the stage. I had to dream up all these ways of doing things that had never been done before. I was doing all this inventive stuff to the point where, if you take the original mix of The Last Waltz and turn the picture off, it sounds like I was on acid. The mix is all over the place—but it’s integrated into the movie in the most incredible way, and it creates a certain experience."​

Is there more than 1 Atmos mix?

There are two versions (standard and extended) on the UHD but I assume the mixes are identical just one includes the additional songs to make it ‘extended’. I’ve only looked/listened to the extended version.

There are two versions (standard and extended) on the UHD but I assume the mixes are identical just one includes the additional songs to make it ‘extended’. I’ve only looked/listened to the extended version.
With all this talk about the mix on the film being focused on the subject of the film, I was wondering if the mix is the same as the streaming version or an audio only Blu-Ray version.

I donno about a surround soundtrack, but I was just reading an interview (on Jake Malooley's Expanding Dan Substack) with Rob Fraboni, chief engineer at Village Recorders in the early 70s and producer of The Last Waltz soundtrack. Listen to this:

"Marty [Scorcese] said to me, “Look, I want to try something. Everything that you see on screen, I want the sound to match it. If there’s an extreme close-up on a vocalist, I want that voice to be unnaturally loud. If there’s a shot from behind the stage, looking out towards the audience, I want the hall to get really loud. And when it comes off of that edit, I want the hall to go away.” In other words, he wanted the sound to match the picture as the camera panned across the stage. I had to dream up all these ways of doing things that had never been done before. I was doing all this inventive stuff to the point where, if you take the original mix of The Last Waltz and turn the picture off, it sounds like I was on acid. The mix is all over the place—but it’s integrated into the movie in the most incredible way, and it creates a certain experience."​
Scorsese did this to an even more pronounced extent in the Stones documentary “Shine a Light “, though the effect of highlighting the vocal or instrumental sounds on-screen was much more noticeable in the theater than it is on home video versions

Someone on SHF posted Wednesday that their is indeed two Atmos mixes. One with the camera view for the video, and an audio only version.

Are you sure this is Atmos? I bought it from Amazon and it plays only as 5.1 on my (Atmos capable) Fire TV Stick 4K. I went back to Amazon's web site and couldn't find any mention of Atmos. Of course I'm disappointed.
It was advertised as such. I would ask for a refund.

Back