The Police 'Sychronicity' Box Set (With unreleased demos, outtakes and live material).

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Info from theseconddisc.com-

More than 40 years after the release of their final album, The Police will offer a massive expansion of their fifth studio effort, 1983's blockbuster Synchronicity.

Available July 26, the set will be available in multiple formats, each showcasing a wealth of rare studio and live bonus content. The centerpiece of the campaign is a 6 CD limited edition box set featuring B-sides and four discs of unreleased material, including demos, alternate mixes and takes, instrumentals, never-before-heard songs and a live concert from the Synchronicity tour. A 4LP box set will offer most of the B-sides and studio material on its bonus discs, and a D2C-exclusive colored vinyl set will include that set's first two LPs. A 2CD set will include the remastered album and all B-sides from the bigger CD box, and a limited edition picture disc will offer the original album with an alternate running order.

The set is billed in the official press announcement as being three years in the making, and it would appear it's worth the wait for hardcore Police fans and completists. The B-sides disc includes every original studio and live non-album track released on the singles "Every Breath You Take," "King of Pain" and "Synchronicity II," including a rare alternate slow recording of Outlandos d'Amour (1978) favorite "Truth Hits Everybody," the moody, Andy Summers-sung "Someone to Talk To," the dreamy, eerie Sting compositions "I Burn for You" and "Once Upon a Daydream," and even "Every Bomb You Make," a version of the album's signature hit rewritten and sung by Sting for the British comedy series Spitting Image. Making their CD debuts are six tracks from the band's live set at The Omni in Atlanta in the fall of 1983, captured on the video The Synchronicity Concert; the rest of the set was issued on the 1995 package Live! Two "derangements" - multi-track reimaginings by drummer Stewart Copeland - will close out the B-sides assortment.

On the two studio discs are a treasure trove for die-hards: at least one, but often more, version of every track on the original album (including B-side "Murder by Numbers," included on CD copies) in alternate form: Sting's lo-fi demos, different mixes, alternate studio versions and even instrumentals. If that weren't enough, there are seven songs and versions that never made the album: an early version of Summers' "Someone to Talk To" called "Goodbye Tomorrow," a Copeland demo called "I'm Blind" that later was reworked into a cue from the drummer's score to Francis Ford Coppola's Rumble Fish, and even covers of Chuck Berry ("Rock and Roll Music") and Eddie Cochran ("Three Steps to Heaven").

A newly-presented live set closes out the box, taken from the group's September 10, 1983 set at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland, CA (the penultimate gig of the first leg of the Synchronicity tour). As with other shows on this tour, the trio (as ever, Sting on bass and vocals, Summers on guitar and Copeland on drums) were augmented by backing vocalists Tessa Niles, Dolette MacDonald and Michelle Cobb, performing nearly every song from the album alongside most of their hits from the previous five years. The deluxe package is rounded out with a 62-page booklet featuring new liner notes from Jason Draper and unseen images and memorabilia.

Read full article with more details here-
https://theseconddisc.com/2024/05/29/the-police-sychronicity-box-set/

I was hoping for alternate takes of Mother, one which sees Andy walking down the hall...

This is the kind of release you could put out and turn a profit with back in the day when the CD format was still dominant and box sets were in vogue. Today, however, with no hi-res or surround versions included, it has failure written all over it.
Totally agree, even for me, the King Of Box Sets, I have my one SHM SACD that when I listen to once and awhile is good enough in stereo.
plus just as an add on for conversation, I hate the song Mother, so loud and irritating.
The Police has a body of work that is top notch, but I always looked at each album as either super great songs or filler duds.
To buy an over bloated extras box set in stereo only, is just a big no for me.

Listening now: The Police-Sychronicity-SHM SACD Japanese released 10/26/2016. UIGY-15031
AMAZON US $30.00
Ripped at 64DSD-DSF file. DR's are 14, 15's, 16, 17's.

R-9571904-1599651370-7552.jpg

Listening now: The Police-Sychronicity-SHM SACD Japanese released 10/26/2016. UIGY-15031
AMAZON US $30.00
Ripped at 64DSD-DSF file. DR's are 14, 15's, 16, 17's.

View attachment 106138
"DSD flat transfer from thee UK analogue master tapes by Richard Whittaker at FX Copyroom, London , in 2013" . . .

If you prefer PCM . . .
1717104031889.png

"Cardboard sleeve reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2013, using original master tapes in the UK. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / not digitally distributed up to this time)."

I second everyone on the wasted opportunity here. Of all Police records, Synchronicity and Ghosts In the Machine would be best candidates as far as the materiel is concerned, for multichannel remix (beside the Best Of on SACD I funnily just received today)

Back