Thompson Twins - Into The Gap blu ray audio #29 in the SDE series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do appreciate the extra content and the premium packaging. I don’t mind the higher cost for a classic (to me, anyway) album like this, as long as it doesn’t happen too often 😁

I was shipping were cheaper, but that’s not up to them. I wish there were a way to combine orders, but that’s the reality with limited editions.

I think the shipping could be cheaper if they wanted to, I ordered the latest XTC from Burning Shed and the shipping was £3.70. No tracking, but I don't need that. They even charged the Norwegian VAT, so saving me some money too. :)

I assume you mean "Hold Me Now", but I also still hear "Doctor! Doctor!" on the radio semi-frequently (as well as "Love On Your Side" from the previous album).

Bingo!

The other two songs did not get too much play after that year (1984) so that's why in my book they only had the "One Hit Wonder" - "Hold Me Now", that I enjoy very much until today.

For me "Thompson Twins" are in the same level that "Information Society", they had their short lifespan and then disappear.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
I think the shipping could be cheaper if they wanted to, I ordered the latest XTC from Burning Shed and the shipping was £3.70. No tracking, but I don't need that. They even charged the Norwegian VAT, so saving me some money too. :)
(emphasis added)

To be fair to SDE and other vendors, that decision isn't up to the buyer, it's the seller's prerogative. Depending on the insurance requirements of the carrier or a third party insurer, tracking may be a requirement. Beyond that, tracking is needed to thwart false claims of nonreceipt and undeserved credit card chargebacks. As someone who has sold media internationally on eBay for the last 20 years, yes this is actually a problem.

(emphasis added)

To be fair to SDE and other vendors, that decision isn't up to the buyer, it's the seller's prerogative. Depending on the insurance requirements of the carrier or a third party insurer, tracking may be a requirement. Beyond that, tracking is needed to thwart false claims of nonreceipt and undeserved credit card chargebacks. As someone who has sold media internationally on eBay for the last 20 years, yes this is actually a problem.
Well, it's not a problem to me, BS gives me choices and I choose what I want. As I'll have to pay VAT for the shipping too, I'll choose the cheapest one. ;)

Just pre-ordered the title. No wonder physical media is dying, $53 USD for an album with one hit wonder (in my book) released 40 years ago delivery to my house? I'm glad I can afford to buy it but I have a prediction for SDE, if they keep up these prices, tax and shipping charges; their business will fade away fast.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
I think the price point is being overly dictated by the label on this one and SDE agreed to get the exclusive distribution.

It is stated that the format of the box is different form the other SDE releases. "The blu-ray is presented in deluxe rigid board packaging, the same as used for Richard Wright’s Wet Dream blu-ray last year, and not the usual amaray case." To me that sounds like BMG already had an idea of making a blu-ray version on their own and distributing it like the 3CD set and/or the red vinyl set. Otherwise, I would think the release would be in the SDE format.
The compromise to give SDE the exclusive is that the onus is SDE to accept any potential over-inventory.
Just a hunch. could be wrong.

As for a "one hit wonder" - Ooph that is a bit rough. Given that their preceding album went platinum, this album having sold over five million copies, and the subsequent album having sold over 750,000+ worldwide - they had a nice 3 year run in the '80's that I think was far better than a fair percentage of their contemporaries. Eight significant singles over that run & five heavy MTV videos over the period ("Hold Me Now", "Doctor Doctor!", "Lay Your Hands on Me", "Lies", "King for a Day".

And not an an excuse for the price but just a reference.
A $15 USD music CD from 1985 would cost approximately $39.29 USD in 2024 when adjusted for inflation.

Really looking forward to this one since it's such a solid album. David Kosten did a phenomenal job on Paul Young's No Parlez album and Hold Me Now sounds great as well.

Back