Thompson Twins - Into The Gap blu ray audio #29 in the SDE series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The excessive P&P works the other way as well, I wanted to buy the latest Hannah Wicklund CD from her own store, its £16.......... and £25 P&P!! to the UK from the USA. Its not the fault of the shops, its the Postal Services charging a fortune to the small independent trader who can't do a bulk deal, and if I got stung for 20% tax then I'd pay it on the whole cost so including P&P.

The excessive P&P works the other way as well, I wanted to buy the latest Hannah Wicklund CD from her own store, its £16.......... and £25 P&P!! to the UK from the USA. Its not the fault of the shops, its the Postal Services charging a fortune to the small independent trader who can't do a bulk deal, and if I got stung for 20% tax then I'd pay it on the whole cost so including P&P.
As a 'collector' of UHD4K Films, I still cannot believe the price inequity between Music only discs and complete films restored in 4K with 'copious bonus features!' Sometimes for the price of a single SDE release I can purchase 4 [count 'em] 4K discs when Amazon blows them out for under $10!

I always try to support SDE whenever I can and sometimes their exclusive discs like the recent Thin Lizzy 2~fer ARE great deals and I did comment that with all the bonus features their current Thompson Twins Pure Audio BD~A offers IS a great deal but with the increasing International Postage/Handling fees which sadly are only going UP, paying $45+ for a single BD~A without bonus features is still excessive [even credit card fees are imposed for international transactions].

Let's face it. Our hobby is getting ridiculously expensive and in recent years the cornucopia of SURROUND RELEASES is expanding in ways we never thought imaginable!

If one adds up the money spent each year on MUSIC ONLY discs it's almost equivalent to upgrading to separate components/better speakers...and that is not a frivolous assertion!

You wanted it.
You got it.
But, you need to pay for it.

There’s no free lunch and retailers are not going to give merchandise away. I can understand why people hesitate on pricing. Hell, I can’t afford to get everything I want and have to really think hard before I press that ‘buy now’ button. I always end up getting more than I’m originally willing to pay for, but, I JUST CAN’T STOP MYSELF!!! 😂

An addiction for sure. 😖

Hold Me Now on AM sounds great. When I went back and listened to the whole album again I did not have the same affection for it that I had in the 80’s. I will wait to buy until a used copy comes along.
I’ve tired of the Thompson Twins too. I purchased the disc in hope that the surround version will change that. Besides, it’s like getting 3 discs worth of music on one Blu-ray. What’s to lose here? If I don’t like it, I’ll just store it along with several other discs I no longer play and sell it in the future for big bucks. :D

Usually when an album sounds great on CD it's a strong indicator that the original recording was well done. It's been my listening experience that Into The Gap was always one of the best sounding synth-pop releases on CD, in addition to having several very catchy ear-worm songs. From what I've read from David Kosten about the original tapes and his remixing process I think we're in for a real surround treat on this title. Although I'm a die-hard prog head, I've always been a sucker for well recorded 80's synth pop - especially ones with deep bass and a wide soundstage. No regrets on this purchase despite the eye watering price - almost as much as I paid for the similarly overpriced Yes - Fragile Super Deluxe ;) .

sometimes their exclusive discs like the recent Thin Lizzy 2~fer ARE great deals
For Thin Lizzy, I got the box set instead, which gave me 5 CDs in addition to the BD. No instrumentals but I can live with that.
Hold Me Now on AM sounds great. When I went back and listened to the whole album again I did not have the same affection for it that I had in the 80’s. I will wait to buy until a used copy comes along.
Has anybody ever managed to buy a SDE BD at a lower price than the original one? Look at the prices here... https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?label_id=2852303&ev=lb&sort=price,asc

Back