HiRez Poll Ultravox - LAMENT [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Ultravox - LAMENT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the classic album "Lament" by Ultravox.
The album has been newly remixed in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson and is available on Blu-ray Audio exclusively from the SDE shop: https://www.thesdeshop.com/products/sde-exclusive-ultravox-lament-blu-ray-audio-with-dolby-atmos-mix
(The 5.1 surround mix is also available as part of a 7CD/DVD box set.)

(y) :) (n)

ultravox_2Dpack.jpg

Okay so firstly the presentation for this disc is really nice. The paper slipcover has a dull matte finish and the square pattern has a glossy embossed texture that looks great in person and make a cool shimmer effect as you move it around. Probably their nicest slipcover yet. Anyways...

On a scale of 1-10 the mix quality is -> Steven Wilson. As will come as a surprise to no one the mix is excellent. The surrounds are well utilized throughout, sometimes more subdued and sometime the star of the show. I'm not familiar with the original album so I can't speak to the faithfulness to the original stereo (which is included so I could give it a listen but probably won't bother) but I find nothing to complain about here.

Musically I find that Ultravox have a poppy 80s synth pop sound with a nice darkness to their instruments that faintly reminds me of darkwave bands like Clan of Xymox. I'll admit I know very little about how synths make sound, but I would say they sound less like out of the box default instruments and more like actual custom effects. As a result this 40 year old new wave album sounds quite fresh. Overall I'm unexpectedly pleased with this release and will be adding it to my keep pile (the first SDE in quite a while too). Think I'll vote 9 for now and let the music grow on me some more, might go to 10 then.

Steven Wilson/10. Really thoughtfully mixed and great use of height/surround. The whole album sounds amazing, the ones folks will recognize are "Dancing with Tears in my Eyes" and "Love's Great Adventure" but the rest of the album is taking me right back to my walkman. The 12" Stereo Mixes are a really nice addition if you like more of the instrumental vibes (which I do). I listened to the 12" mixes on All Ch. Stereo. The slipcover is really nice with the tactile embossed dots. I really hope they will go back and do Vienna.

This is the first Ultravox album I like, as it doesn't sound like The Cars. Additionally, it is Steve's most reference-worthy work yet in the topsmmersion department. The tom-tom in "Lament," firmly anchored in the middle of my ceiling, is remarkable, serving as the hub for various elevated sonic pirouettes. A 12.

Back