(2024-05) S & V - Review of Magnetar Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My over 10 year old Magnavox(Funai) NB500MG1F Blu-ray player is made in China and gets almost daily use playing Quadios, CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays, it has been very reliable.

The made in China Sony CFD-S70s did suffer from CD players that stopped working after a few months, Sony did a major recall on them (which I missed, although what I really wanted was the compact cassette player and the digitally tuned radio in them).

4 of my 8 Polk Audio T15 speakers are made in China, I listen to them daily, they are good quality.

Kirk Bayne

I'm sure it's nice but 1600 for a made in China product???
No matter what they are laughing all the way to the bank.
Oppo players were made in China and worth every penny. Nothing wrong with chinese manufacturing per se, it varies like everything.

My local dealer now stocks both Magnetar models, having sold a ton of Oppos back in the day.

Last edited:
Well Oppo wasn't anywhere near 1600 dollars..and I pity the fools encouraged into paying stupid Fleabay prices for 'em
Sorry it's just too much money for a made in China device
Cost of manufacturing is zilch compared to cost of goods

Oppo players were made in China and worth every penny. Nothing wrong with chinese manufacturing per se, it varies like everything.

My local dealer now stocks both Magnetar models, having sold a ton of Oppos back in the day.
One difference is Magnatar is a Chinese company itself (Hong Kong, specifically) as opposed to an American or Japanese company manufacturing in China.

Does that matter quality-wise? Dunno. But a distinction probably worth pointing out.

Well Oppo wasn't anywhere near 1600 dollars..and I pity the fools encouraged into paying stupid Fleabay prices for 'em
Sorry it's just too much money for a made in China device
Cost of manufacturing is zilch compared to cost of goods
I accept it's a lot of money, probably too much, for what it is. But the fact it is made in China is irrelevant to me, plenty of good stuff is made in China.

I will suggest to buy up any and all disc players you can. Does anyone under 30 even own a Blu-ray player these days?

There may not even BE any disc players on the market 10 years from now. Let alone universal players.

A couple of those Sony players in storage might not be a bad idea for the future.

I will suggest to buy up any and all disc players you can. Does anyone under 30 even own a Blu-ray player these days?

There may not even BE any disc players on the market 10 years from now. Let alone universal players.
Agreed... It's been 40 years since I bought my first disc player and sadly the advent of streaming means that the production of disc based media is decreasing year on year and not having any manufacturers making new disc players will only hasten its demise!

Last edited:

A couple of those Sony players in storage might not be a bad idea for the future.
I was reluctant at first, but ended up buying (and testing, then boxing back up) a second Sony ubp-x800m2 for just this reason. I'm not rich, spending $250 on something collecting dust in the closet felt foolish but on a long enough timeline it assures I can playback 90-something percent of what I have years from now when my current ubp-x800m2 finally shits the bed.

Agreed... It's been 40 years since I bought my first disc player and sadly the advent of streaming means that the production of disc based media is decreasing year on year and not having any manufacturers making new disc players will only hasten it demise!
Yeah, I don’t think Yamaha or Denon even make a BD player anymore. Let alone a universal player.

I was reluctant at first, but ended up buying (and testing, then boxing back up) a second Sony ubp-x800m2 for just this reason. I'm not rich, spending $250 on something collecting dust in the closet felt foolish but on a long enough timeline it assures I can playback 90-something percent of what I have years from now when my current ubp-x800m2 finally shits the bed.
I have one in storage too. My good ol Yamaha BD-A1020 is still going strong (and plays burned SACDs and DVD-A as well) but probably wont last forever.

Last edited:
Also - $1600 for a SACD player with no multichannel outs is goofy. It's not going to be appreciably better than a secondhand Sony.

Back