HiRez Poll Hootie & The Blowfish - CRACKED REAR VIEW [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Hootie & The Blowfish - CRACKED REAR VIEW

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2024 reissue of Hootie & The Blowfish's 1994 album "Cracked Rear View".
The standalone Blu-Ray from WB/Rhino contains a Dolby Atmos mix of the album, as well as the 5.1 surround mix previously released issued on DVD-Audio in 2005.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

HootieBlowfish_CrackedRear_BluRay-min.png

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/new-dolby-atmos-bluray-discs-from-rhino.35755/

I'm giving this one a 9. I've deducted a point because the Atmos version of Hannah Jane, has an 'upmixed' sound to it except for the backing vocals. Otherwise it is a really good Atmos mix of a classic album from its time period. I'm very happy with it...other than the resulting endless earworms from these catchy tunes. ;)

Highly recommended.

After listening to all the Quadios that I ordered from Rhino in this last batch, I held off on Hootie until I was done with those. I wasn't sure what to expect. I have a vintage quad setup with my Oppo center channel connected to another small amp when needed - like on this one.
I put the disc in the machine and I could see right away that the multichannel indicator was on. So I let it start to play. I found it to be pleasant. Nothing overpowering like I would expect from the group. Loud and strong. Not blown away, but definitely satisfied with the mix.

Then I decided to turn the TV on and see what version I was actually hearing. It defaulted to the Atmos, so I was listening to a downmix. (I was wondering why the center channel barely had anything coming out of it. Just backing vocals.) Flipping to the 5.1 was :oops:. There was the punch I was expecting. I know it's not the "new" mix, but it was much better than the fold down.

Like the Quadio products, this was beautiful, clear and crisp. This was an album I never owned, even in stereo. I liked Hootie, but didn't love them. But realizing just how many hits they had and how talented they are after sitting down and listening to this, really changed my mind. How did I miss them when they were so popular? Maybe because it seemed like every other song on the radio was Hootie.

I any case, I gave this release a 10. Audio was beautiful and content was top notch.

Back