Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
‘Pink Floyd’s ‘Animals’ and several albums by ‘The Animals’ on the same day… Someone has a sense of humour or at least occasion….. Including this wonderful ‘Retrospective’ set. Some of the later tracks are particularly good, at least on my Iphone. I'm particularly loving San Franciscian Nights, Monterey, When I Was Young and of course Sky Pilot.

I note the various ‘The Animals’ albums, as posted, appear to be in the US only. I can't find them on Australian Apple Music, UK or NL. I note the US releases were very different track listings and cover artwork than the UK.

Last edited:
The Animals albums are barely descrete mixes at all. The song It’s my life isn’t the same mix as the Dolby atmos mix that was released as a single on Apple Music recently which was a discrete mix. The Animals Dolby Atmos album mixes are extremely poor IMO. Waste of time and gives Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio a bad reputation.

The Animals albums are barely descrete mixes at all. The song It’s my life isn’t the same mix as the Dolby atmos mix that was released as a single on Apple Music recently which was a discrete mix. The Animals Dolby Atmos album mixes are extremely poor IMO. Waste of time and gives Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio a bad reputation.
That happens a lot, especially with recordings where they probably had 4 tracks to work with at best.

In US now and I assume everywhere else. At least I get to hear it before upgrading my two year old disc to the Atmos version for a higher price than the two year old one.
Sadly, it looks like tidal has already pulled animals atmos, after only about 24 hours. They did a similar thing when dsotm atmos hit the streaming platforms. Guess I'll have to buy the disc. I was gonna skip it since I'm already quite happy with the 5.1 that I just bought last year. Ah well, tidal giveth and tidal taketh away...

Last edited:
Sadly, it looks like tidal has already pulled animals atmos, after only about 24 hours. They did a similar thing when dsotm atmos hit the streaming platforms. Guess I'll have to buy the disc. I was gonna skip it since I'm already quite happy with the 5.1 that I just bought last year. Ah well, tidal giveth and tidal taketh away...
Tidal? Apple Music, still Atmos on(four countries I can see). Maybe it will come back?

Last edited:
The degree of separation seems similar to some of The Rolling Stones mixes. The quality of the recording though is better than most previous versions I have had, so something has happened. I’m grateful to have them regardless.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I am liking the album. But downmixed to 5.1 it sounds like a pretty conservative mix. A lot of missed opportunities. Can anyone with Atmos comment on how it the full Atmos mix sounds?

Billie Eilish: Hit Me Hard and Soft - Dolby Atmos​

The sound is immersive good enough, but it doesn't have much aggressive movements or discrete ping-pong sounds.

The mix style reminds me the one of Mark Knopfler - One Deep River: hemispherical frontal sound. Without any significant sounds from Rears (Surround Backs) and Top Rears.

The immersive sensation is augmented with a great use of the Wides (as with Mark Knopfler). This Billie Eilish do have some more interesting details than Deep River - Mark Knopfler.

It is a "calm" mix. Good enough, good fidelity, some nice echo effects, but not aggresive (or exciting...).

Again, as my comments about Pink Floyd - Animals in other thread: A good mix but without spectacularity. And I guess I'm taking advantage of my Wides Speakers installation (9.1.4)

I think to remember, previous Atmos albums from Billie Eilish were more exciting for me. I will revisit them.

Tidal? Apple Music, still Atmos on(four countries I can see). Maybe it will come back?
It might come back. Tidal can be pretty weird that way. When pink floyd dsotm atmos was released to stream, I believe it stayed the whole time on apple. But over on tidal, it was there for the first couple of days, then got pulled, then came back a few days later, and then after about a week, it got pulled again never to return. I wish it were easier for me to enjoy atmos on apple, but for now I'll have to settle for what's on tidal, as apple music is not supported on my sony google TV, and I just can't bring myself to shell out $130+ for an apple steaming device when I have alrdy invested so much in all my other gear. I could easily listen to some apple atmos with headphones, but I have zero interest in hearing it anywhere except through my atmos home theater setup.

Back