SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that Sarah McLachlan is doing a 30th anniversary tour for Fumbling Toward Ecstasy. Would love to see SDE release a Steven Wilson surround mix of the album. Sarah performed "Possession" on Jimmy Kimmel Live this week and I thought she sounded great.
I could NOT agree MORE! This would make a fantastic SDE release! Paul Sinclair are you listening?!

Of these I can see:

The Flaming Lips, 3 existing 5.1 mixes and a teased Yoshimi Atmos mix

Brian Eno, already had a release through SDE, and since then had 5 older albums receive streaming only mixes

Sigur Ros, two concert films with good, discrete 5.1 mixes (Heima was promised a 4K release about two years ago that hasn’t materialized just yet), as well as 3 streaming Atmos mixes, and a potential live album in atmos (a recording crew posted a tweet mentioning they recorded it with Atmos in mind… then promptly deleted the tweet)

Vangelis’s final album Juno to Jupiter has a streaming mix, there’s a distinct possibility of a release there

The Future Sound Of London, when they quit Virgin records claimed that “stereo sucks” and promised to release 5.1 mixes with their newfound freedom. They never did, though A Gigantic Globular Burst Of Antistatic, the album claimed to be their first 5.1 release did see a 5.1 version… for a museum exhibit. No 5.1 or other multichannel releases have actually been made.

Moby, the “Reprise” album of orchestral versions of classics got a Streaming atmos mix with a wide release disc a few months later. He has another album in that vein, Resound NYC that has a streaming atmos mix, but no disc atmos release
Yoshimi is amazing !

All of the unreleased Elton John surround mixes by Greg Penny, Don' Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, Caribou, Rock of The Westies and Blue Moves. I even heard that Here and There was done as well but not sure about that.
I'm repeating my own plea to get the unreleased Elton surround mixes from Greg Penny out. It seems like BD-Audio releases are starting to pick up so why not get the rest of Eton out there on physical media. Come on EJ management! Get with the program! :) A limited release similar to the RSD Caribou would be fine with me. I'm fairly sure you could sell 3000 copies.

Last edited:
Ooh so many!!

The Who - Quadrophenia (as the old one is out of print and £££££)

Midge Ure’s solo output although he lost the tapes for The Gift 🤦

Metallica Master of Puppets

Thin Lizzy Jailbreak

Elvis Presley 69 Memphis masters and 1970 Nashville masters

Thomas Dolby’s back catalogue

Bowie’s back catalogue

That’ll do for now 😎

Back