Snarky Puppy's 2015 Magnum Opus, 'Sylva' (with the Metropole Orkest) is coming in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great album, though I'm not sure I would call it their "magnum opus"; it's really the black sheep in their catalogue. I'd probably give that title to either "We Like it Here" or "Culcha Vulcha", which would also be great to get in Atmos, but I'm not complaining 😊. I pre-ordered on Amazon but now the release date is showing as August 2nd.

Great album, though I'm not sure I would call it their "magnum opus"; it's really the black sheep in their catalogue. I'd probably give that title to either "We Like it Here" or "Culcha Vulcha", which would also be great to get in Atmos, but I'm not complaining 😊. I pre-ordered on Amazon but now the release date is showing as August 2nd.

Well I started the thread and it's my favourite of their albums so I had the bully pulpit to call it whatever I wanted. 😁 It's not often that you get to break the news of a surround release of one of your favourite albums of the last 10 years to the general public!

As far as good/bad, better/best I don't think that We Like it Here (even though it's the album that introduced me to the band) is quite as memorable, outside of Lingus, the song that got them their first viral notoriety on the internet, and a couple of others. Culcha Vulcha is maybe Sylva's equal, but I think of them almost as "twin albums" because the lineup was similar, but with a kind of yin and yang difference because one was live and one was a studio creation. Two sides of the same coin, of like Revolver and Rubber Soul, or Black Sabbath's Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.

In any event, the great thing about music is it doesn't have to be a race where you crown 1st, 2nd and 3rd place - you can just say they're all good (or great) and different ways and enjoy the fact that you get to listen to all of them as much as you like. I'm just hopeful that this new Atmos mix of Sylva is commercially successful enough for the band that we get the opportunity in a few years time to debate whether it's better or worse than the eventual Atmos mixes of We Like It Here, Culcha Vulcha, Immigrance, and the rest. ;)

Well I started the thread and it's my favourite of their albums so I had the bully pulpit to call it whatever I wanted. 😁 It's not often that you get to break the news of a surround release of one of your favourite albums of the last 10 years to the general public!

As far as good/bad, better/best I don't think that We Like it Here (even though it's the album that introduced me to the band) is quite as memorable, outside of Lingus, the song that got them their first viral notoriety on the internet, and a couple of others. Culcha Vulcha is maybe Sylva's equal, but I think of them almost as "twin albums" because the lineup was similar, but with a kind of yin and yang difference because one was live and one was a studio creation. Two sides of the same coin, of like Revolver and Rubber Soul, or Black Sabbath's Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.

In any event, the great thing about music is it doesn't have to be a race where you crown 1st, 2nd and 3rd place - you can just say they're all good (or great) and different ways and enjoy the fact that you get to listen to all of them as much as you like. I'm just hopeful that this new Atmos mix of Sylva is commercially successful enough for the band that we get the opportunity in a few years time to debate whether it's better or worse than the eventual Atmos mixes of We Like It Here, Culcha Vulcha, Immigrance, and the rest. ;)
Fully agree (y) Except for the point about We Like it Here... I'd say all 8 tracks are extremely memorable and distinct. I'm using Tidal and only one of the tracks from that album is not in the top 10 most listened tracks for Snarky Puppy.

Last edited:
The Snarky Puppy site doesn’t mention Atmos on the Blu-ray. Can anyone confirm if the Blu-ray contains the Atmos mix?
See the penultimate paragraph of @steelydave's opening post. (Short version: I was told by the GroundUP Ops Director that the Atmos mix would appear on BDA. Agreed that its inclusion ought to be explicitly noted on the product page. The Empire Central Blu-Ray page also doesn't mention an Atmos mix.)

See the penultimate paragraph of @steelydave's opening post. (Short version: I was told by the GroundUP Ops Director that the Atmos mix would appear on BDA. Agreed that its inclusion ought to be explicitly noted on the product page. The Empire Central Blu-Ray page also doesn't mention an Atmos mix.)
Worth mentioning, I just checked the page and there’s a note claiming that due to production delays it’s been pushed to July. So those thinking of holding off til you have the disc (like I was) might wanna give the streaming version a spin in the meantime

Listening on Tidal. The mix is pretty great but the LFE is maybe a bit too much. First track I listened to was The Clearing and when the full band came in I was nearly knocked back in my seat :LOL:

Back