• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Official QQ Sales, Vouchers, Coupons and Discount Codes Megathread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice they list Live & Let Die as temporarily out of stock. Looks like a strategic move so no one can get a discount on it. I have purchased and listened to this title and it is excellent. Only bad part is they did not include the quad mix. Man how I want that mix as an official release!

https://lalalandrecords.com/live-an...expanded-remastered-limited-edition-2-cd-set/
Live & Let Die has been temporarily out of stock for months... I'm thinking it's not a strategic move. I have had this on backorder through SAE since January.

Deep Discount is blowing out Neil Young's Greatest Hits in an extraordinary CD/DVD package containing 17 of Neil's GH .....the CD is HDCD encoded/the DVD is actually a DVD~A STEREO in 24 bit resolution DD's price: $11.90 [Reprise/WEA]

https://www.deepdiscount.com/neil-y...dium=web&utm_campaign=Recs&utm_content=widget

Greatest Hits

Deep Discount is blowing out Neil Young's Greatest Hits in an extraordinary CD/DVD package containing 17 of Neil's GH .....the CD is HDCD encoded/the DVD is actually a DVD~A STEREO in 24 bit resolution DD's price: $11.90 [Reprise/WEA]

https://www.deepdiscount.com/neil-y...dium=web&utm_campaign=Recs&utm_content=widget

Greatest Hits
I bought this and it says the bit rate is 1.4Mbps, Sampling Rate 44.1 KHz and Bit Depth 16 bits on playback. Not sure how that lines up with the ad here. Nothing special in terms of labels on the cd.

I bought this and it says the bit rate is 1.4Mbps, Sampling Rate 44.1 KHz and Bit Depth 16 bits on playback. Not sure how that lines up with the ad here. Nothing special in terms of labels on the cd.
HDCD explained:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

"HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding"

The information is available on the disc as special encoding, on the wikipedia page it lists specific players and software that support the format. There's no means for a traditional CD player to playback 20 bit higher resolution material.

HDCD explained:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

"HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding"

The information is available on the disc as special encoding, on the wikipedia page it lists specific players and software that support the format. There's no means for a traditional CD player to playback 20 bit higher resolution material.
From my understanding, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit audio covers the range of human hearing. What I found IS important about HDCDs is when peak extension is enabled, which essentially hides the more dynamic master behind that HDCD layer. Some examples of albums that have this include Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams (though it isn't labelled as an HDCD; it is one), The Cars' self-titled album, Moon Pix by Cat Power, The Chicks' (formerly The Dixie Chicks) Fly and Wide Open Spaces, a few Joni Mitchell albums, and much of Neil Young's CD catalog. More examples can be found here.

I don't see Neil Young's Greatest Hits listed, but if I had to guess, it probably has peak extension enabled.
1000005729.png

Oh, and you can decode the peak extension part with an add-on to the program Foobar2000.

Last edited:
From my understanding, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit audio covers the range of human hearing. What I found IS important about HDCDs is when peak extension is enabled, which essentially hides the more dynamic master behind that HDCD layer. Some examples of albums that have this include Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams (though it isn't labelled as an HDCD; it is one), The Cars' self-titled album, Moon Pix by Cat Power, The Chicks' (formerly The Dixie Chicks) Fly and Wide Open Spaces, a few Joni Mitchell albums, and much of Neil Young's CD catalog. More examples can be found here.

I don't see Neil Young's Greatest Hits listed, but if I had to guess, it probably has peak extension enabled.View attachment 104368

Oh, and you can decode the peak extension part with an add-on to the program Foobar2000.
It says nothing about it being an HDCD. I played it on an Oppo 203

This was not the disk that DD was selling. It was a CD only, with no DVD.
here is the ad listed in the thread from above. type in the UPC - either on google or discgs - the results show it as HDCD. check the UPC on your disc via discogs to see what version you have
  • Greatest Hits​

• Artist: Neil Young
  • Format: CD
  • Release Date: 11/16/2004
  • ARTIST: Neil Young
  • LABEL: Reprise / WEA
  • UPC: 093624893523
  • ITEM #: WEA489352
  • GENRE: Rock

here is the ad listed in the thread from above. type in the UPC - either on google or discgs - the results show it as HDCD. check the UPC on your disc via discogs to see what version you have
  • Greatest Hits​

• Artist: Neil Young
  • Format: CD
  • Release Date: 11/16/2004
  • ARTIST: Neil Young
  • LABEL: Reprise / WEA
  • UPC: 093624893523
  • ITEM #: WEA489352
  • GENRE: Rock
I get it. And this is the UPC of what I bought. I’m just surprised that there’s nothing on the notes that says it’s an HDCD. And I know nothing about HDCD’s so forgive my ignorance.

I get it. And this is the UPC of what I bought. I’m just surprised that there’s nothing on the notes that says it’s an HDCD. And I know nothing about HDCD’s so forgive my ignorance.
BTW, the OPPO 203/205 [I have the latter] do NOT decode HDCD. OPPO ceased including HDCD decoding on those newer models and in the case of the OPPO 205 included MQA decoding via a firmware update.

Sorry for the confusion. I was going by Deep Discount's description which did state a DVD with a hi res stereo remaster WAS included.

Not so much down to Oppo as it was the supplier of their SOC, Mediatek. The newer chip used in the 20X series dropped HDCD decoding.
Strange, JJ, how OPPO included MQA decoding via a firmware update but could not also include HDCD. I only have a few dozen HDCD titles [some of which are CHOICE titles] and do miss that option.

Oh, well!

You really need to watch DD. Even with their 15% Discounts, at times their sister site, importCD's is still cheaper.
But beware Gene, ImportCD does charge for s/h! $2.99 for the first disc and $1.49 for EACH disc thereafter! And on occasion, Deep Discount is cheaper than ImportCD and does offer free s/h for orders $25 and over!

Back