(2023) $80 MQA Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is it lossy? I'm talking of the baseband of the CD. Unfolded it is just a regular CD. It would not be compatible if it wasn't. I would have to read more about it (so don't quote me) but from the article that I linked to it sounded like even the high frequency (encoded) portions are lossless. If not it is a very close approximation. The encoded parts show up as low level noise, that does not make the CD lossy, even if the unfolded version is.

So you don't listen to Dolby Digital or DTS? Both are lossy. I remember you arguing with me when I criticized the sound of MP3!
par4ken, you are quite correct in assuming that if the unencoded/unfolded MQA CD was lossy it would not conform to the RBCD standard and would NOT play in a standard CD player!

And when you play the MQA CD in an OPPO 205 which has MQA decoding, the TV monitor clearly shows 24 bit with varying higher upsampling rates.

As for de-blurring, if that means anything real then it can be done on a lossless stream. Why improve the sound with de-blurring (whatever that means)

IIRC (I can't find the info at the moment), the deblurring can be set to correct for the few professional ADCs used in the early 1980s (the analog brickwall anti-aliasing filters caused the blur [phase shift]), apparently, the digitized copies had notes about which pro ADC was used, so the MQA deblurring can be set to to fully correct for the blur.

Kirk Bayne

How is it lossy? I'm talking of the baseband of the CD. Unfolded it is just a regular CD. It would not be compatible if it wasn't. I would have to read more about it (so don't quote me) but from the article that I linked to it sounded like even the high frequency (encoded) portions are lossless. If not it is a very close approximation. The encoded parts show up as low level noise, that does not make the CD lossy, even if the unfolded version is.
You just answered your own question. That added noise means reduced fidelity. It's not "lossy" in the same way that MP3 or DTS are, in that information is not thrown away, but the existing data are degraded—distorted—by added noise. There's also the matter of the black box "de-blurring," which would also be a form of distortion.

You MQA haters make me want to tear my hair out! All of you are condemning a system without hearing it first. Your rhetoric is purely based on "religious beliefs". You remind me of the surround haters who think that music must be presented over only two speakers!

The CD's are worth it whether they sound good simply due to better mastering or if the sound is improved due to the so called "de-blurring" process. I hope to find that out for myself. I will not be unfolding them as I have no means of doing so. If the CD's sound bad to me I will let you all know.

I might be starting a new controversy but I maintain that high resolution audio is a big step up from regular CD audio. Obviously you can't hear frequencies that high but it would allow for better phase accuracy in the high end. That might account for the sound improvement. On that same or related note SACD's converted to PCM lose something in the translation unless care is taken with the noise filtering.

MQA's attack is therefore twofold. Add back in the missing high end and adjust for phase anomalies that otherwise tend to cause "digital" harshness or blurring. That seems like a reasonable proposition, hardly "snake oil". Does it live up to it's claims, again I don't know but many here seem to think so.

It sounds like MQA was developed largely for streaming but as already been mentioned with high speed internet that point is rather moot.
I don’t think I’m a hater, I just think it’s a day late and a dollar short of being a major breakthrough. I’ve heard a few “unfolded” downloads and they sound lovely. But there isn’t much material there to warrant the hardware purchase, at least to me.

Dr. Mark Waldrep (Dr. AIX) dedicated an entire chapter in his book to dissing MQA. I thought that was excessive.

You just answered your own question. That added noise means reduced fidelity. It's not "lossy" in the same way that MP3 or DTS are, in that information is not thrown away, but the existing data are degraded—distorted—by added noise. There's also the matter of the black box "de-blurring," which would also be a form of distortion.
The added noise would be inaudible. The article says that the random noise that is present is replaced by the encoded non random noise.
Adding noise does not make it lossy anymore than adding dither does.

Fair to argue that non random noise might sound worse, if you could hear it under normal listening conditions.

De-blurring might be better described as pre-distortion. The technique was used in the tube days with the driver tubes distortion closely matched to that of the output tube the distortion would cancel itself out. If it is added to correct the ADC that was originally used then no problem at all, the distortion cancels out. If it is more generically applied to correct both ADC and DAC it might conceivably sound worse on some equipment.

The encoded parts show up as low level noise, that does not make the CD lossy, even if the unfolded version is.
It makes the CD slightly lossy.
So you don't listen to Dolby Digital or DTS? Both are lossy.
I listen to them when I have to ie when nothing else is available to me.
I remember you arguing with me when I criticized the sound of MP3!
I remember. MP3 can sound OK and it can sound poor. Again I listen to it when no better option is available to me.

My complaint with MQA CDs is they could have put out a normal CD with the excellent mastering on, but they have actively chosen to use MQA snake oil and degrade the baseband CD audio.

IIRC (I can't find the info at the moment), the deblurring can be set to correct for the few professional ADCs used in the early 1980s (the analog brickwall anti-aliasing filters caused the blur [phase shift]), apparently, the digitized copies had notes about which pro ADC was used, so the MQA deblurring can be set to to fully correct for the blur.
That makes sense, thank you. But it does not match what MQA said about de-blurring, they talk about timing differences due to microphone placements and things like that. This is my biggest beef about MQA, they don't describe accurately and clearly what the different parts of it do. Some of it might have merit, the excellent mastering certainly does and corrections for decades old ADCs might, but they bury it all in a morass of techno babble and actively obfuscate things.

I remember. MP3 can sound OK and it can sound poor. Again I listen to it when no better option is available to me.

My complaint with MQA CDs is they could have put out a normal CD with the excellent mastering on, but they have actively chosen to use MQA snake oil and degrade the baseband CD audio.
dedicated to Those Who Doubt -

No! That is not what we refer to as lossy. Even a hi-res recording down sampled is not considered "lossy". Yes that may just be just "semantics" and I do understand what you are saying.
Me too.
Oh I'm sure many MQA CDs sound fine.
So why all the fuss about it? I would not purchase an MQA CD in preference to a high resolution (Blu-ray, SACD) version. It is my hope however that these CD's are not brick walled like most regular CD's are. Why not focus your hatred on an industry that keeps releasing a (defective) compressed (or to use your term "lossy") product. At least MQA are/were striving for better sound quality.

So why all the fuss about it?
Because they could sound better if this deliberately added distortion (as you call it if you don't like lossy) was not added. It's unecessary.
At least MQA are/were striving for better sound quality.
Actually I believe the primary driver was to create a scheme for earning royalties, both from the music industry encoding titles and from the hifi industry making playback equipment. If they were mainly interested in better sound quality they would have licenced software players to do the unfolding rather than restricting it to hardware playback devices.

dedicated to Those Who Doubt -

Oh I'm sure many MQA CDs sound fine. But could they sound better without the added MQA noise and distortion? We'll likely never know because any other issue of the music will likely be different mastering.
Owen, a wood of advice: When cbmmm3, the UNDISPUTED MQA 👑 KING speaks .... LISTEN!

Rick has over 300 MQA encoded CDs and a Luxman MQA enabled disc spinner costing US 3500 clams and very fine separate components!

Back