AIR – Moon Safari (25th Anniversary Edition with Dolby Atmos Mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Massive Attack's Mezzanine is the only album I can think of that's in the same genre and available in surround format. If you're looking for similar albums that are in stereo, just look for late 90's or early 2000's "trip-hop". Some examples:

DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Herbaliser - Blow Your Headphones
I'll give those 3 a whirl as well. I have already listened to Mezzanine. Where are you seeing Mezzanine available in surround?

Mezzanine by Massive Attack is a masterpiece.
I used to watch the TV show "House M.D." quite a bit and had no idea the theme song was a song by Massive Attack called "Teardrop" until years later. Oddly enough it was a line from Steven Wilson's album Hand.Cannot.Erase album that prompted me to go check them out.

I listened to this chillout classic a LOT under the influence. The Atmos mix does a powerful job of replicating the trippy wonderfulness of my recollections of how this sounded blasting through cans or floor speakers or my Beats boom box. Lots of groovy panning and synthesizer surprises popping up all over the room. As noted above, this music is made for Atmos, and this Atmos mix does it right. A sheer delight! So very happy to have this one; it's hella fun and the closest i'll get to an aural hallucination – an absolutely otherworldly blissful ride; get ready to slide right into the flow. An irresistible 10!
Are you listening in Atmos?

How are you determining a match?
I'm looking for the same speakers as my fronts: JBL Northridge E60s. There is a pair in Phoenix, but they are local pickup only. Right now, my sides are JBL Northridge E30s, which i would move to the rears. Currently my rears are Northridge N24s; i have an extra pair of them, so i could use those four as my heights. I keep searching for those E60s!

Last edited:
I'm looking for the same speakers as my fronts: JBL Northridge E60s. There are a pair in Phoenix, but they are local pickup only. Right now, my sides are JBL Northridge E30s, which i would move to the rears. Currently my rears are Northridge N24s; i have an extra pair of them, so i could use those four as my heights. I keep searching for those E60s!
Great plan. Maybe you can move forward with 2 more E30s. Then up to the E60s when found.

View attachment IMG_1946.jpeg
Just got this interesting curio that others might be interested in. UK Magazine Electronic Sound has a whole special issue on Moon Safari’s 25th anniversary. They tend to sell bundles with vinyl/cds relevant to the main issue, and I got this one’s bundle, which has two remixes of Sexy Boy. Something nice to dig into in my last couple days with summer COVID (I’m fine, was just a head cold at its worst… now just a lingering cough).

Looks like there’s some still in stock, shipping is kinda steep to the US, but I love the album, and dug the one ambient issue I ordered (which had a 2xCD ambient DJ mix), so I figured why not.
https://electronicsound.squarespace.com/shop/p/issue-115

Back