Auro-3D: MKV vs Embedded FLAC files!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I use MakeMKV to rip Auro-3D blu rays and then mkvtoolnix to separate into individual tracks, resulting in mkv files. However, Immersive Audio Album now has some Auro-3D albums for purchase/download, including the new Madeline Peyroux album, which is very very nice indeed.

I am using a Dune HD 4k to playing ripped files from my network server (hardwired ethernet).

When I play Auro-3D mkv files from ripped discs, my SSP on screen info display shows all of the channels as incoming. E.G. Auro-3D 5.1.4, it will show all 10 channels. And then the display will show all 10 channels output.

But when I play several Auro-3D flac albums downloaded from Immersive Audio Album, the SSP display only shows the base 5.1 (or 7.1), it doesn't show the height channels as incoming. The output display though shows all the Auro-3D channels, so for Auro-3D 5..1.4, the display shows all 10 channels. My question thus is how do I know that the output display isn't simply showing "Auromatic" processing of 5.1 to 5.1.4 channels?

Its actually sort of hard to find the answer to this question. Auro-3D website doesn't discuss this. However, tonight I looked at the 2L website. There are options for the latest albums (the ones I looked) to order the blu ray disc (which will have Auro-3D mkv files, which I have ripped from some of these discs), another option to order Auro-3D downloads in either flac "embedded" files - yea, this means the height channels info is contained or embedded in the base channels for decoding by the SSP, like what Atmos does - or mkv files.

So this explains it!!!

Back