Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe subcontract an Asian manufacturer that already has a HDMI license to design a board for us????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Yeah that's probably simpler and a better solution.

Or maybe subcontract an Asian manufacturer that already has a HDMI license to design a board for us????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
It looks like our prayers may be answered finally!! :)

It looks like our prayers may be answered finally!! :)
If by prayers you mean "asking us repeatedly until we relent" then it's entirely possible. I'm certainly potentially talking to people that may or may not be able to solve that problem.
I mean, hassling us got us to make an SQ flavour of our decode.
Then again, if it worked every time we'd already have a new CD-4 demodulator so - make of that what you will.

~D

If by prayers you mean "asking us repeatedly until we relent" then it's entirely possible. I'm certainly potentially talking to people that may or may not be able to solve that problem.
Then again, if it worked every time we'd already have a new CD-4 demodulator so - make of that what you will.

~D
I know a LOT of QQers would be mighty happy with a new/much improved CD~4 demodulator instead of relying on their 70's 'problematic' ones but with fewer and fewer Receivers sporting analogue inputs/outputs and some NONE at all, the sales potential might not be worth it...whereas, outfitting the existing Surround Master with HDMI, would, IMO, be the better bet.

Last edited:

~D
It is a frustrating situation for both Involve and the customers. You have to make business decisions and we have to make purchase decisions, both of them involving finances. I already purchased 2 Surround Masters, 1 and 2. The 3rd gave me no compelling reason to buy another, since I don't need the optical in, but HDMI out would.

I haven't been able to use either of my Surround Master's since my receiver with analog inputs died. Still saving to pay for 2 nice stereo amps or shell out for new receiver with analog inputs. Using the amps or considering the Involve 6 channel amp leaves me with no remote control pre-amp for volume control.

I really have no intent to "harass" you into adding HDMI, just giving my perspective as a customer and what some of us would like to see added to meet our needs. I really like the Surround Master and appreciate the technology you have brought to market. I also appreciate the communication and fun conversation you provide here!

Personally I'd prefer just a straight 5.1 analogue ins to HDMI device, then it could be used with anything including legacy quad gear. If a new Surround Master with HDMI out also had 5.1 inputs that it could switch to instead of decoding that would also fulfil that function, though likely at considerably higher cost that just a converter.

I think maybe it has been mentioned before, but Surround Master Software that could be licensed and installed on a PC with HDMI would also be an option. Play stereo audio files on the PC and output the quad/surround out the PC HDMI to the receiver.

It is a frustrating situation for both Involve and the customers. You have to make business decisions and we have to make purchase decisions, both of them involving finances. I already purchased 2 Surround Masters, 1 and 2. The 3rd gave me no compelling reason to buy another, since I don't need the optical in, but HDMI out would.

I haven't been able to use either of my Surround Master's since my receiver with analog inputs died. Still saving to pay for 2 nice stereo amps or shell out for new receiver with analog inputs. Using the amps or considering the Involve 6 channel amp leaves me with no remote control pre-amp for volume control.

I really have no intent to "harass" you into adding HDMI, just giving my perspective as a customer and what some of us would like to see added to meet our needs. I really like the Surround Master and appreciate the technology you have brought to market. I also appreciate the communication and fun conversation you provide here!
Oh don't get me wrong - my post was firmly tongue-in-cheek - and a little more specifically about CD4 :p
No bitterness on our end, and I really really want HDMI output capability for us. That will be hopefully a matter of when rather than if. There's clearly a need for it.

CD-4…If Involve ever decides to jump down that rabbit hole, please make it something that does not significantly increase the price of any future version of the Surround Master.
I personally wouldn't care about a reasonable price increase in order to get reliable CD-4 Demodulation; I'm in dire need of one that works!

However I do realize that given the market size for such usage does not translate into a huge financial incentive for Involve unfortunately; since it's basically an old dead system.

Oh don't get me wrong - my post was firmly tongue-in-cheek - and a little more specifically about CD4 :p
No bitterness on our end, and I really really want HDMI output capability for us. That will be hopefully a matter of when rather than if. There's clearly a need for it.

Less cheeky bidness Dave (aka DTB), and more work -work -work!!! :whistle:

Seriously, Chucky and DTB, the Surround Master without HDMI is like a kangaroo without its pouch

R.bfaf85bdb4dad197c23328fd739e0c0b

What, NO HDMI???????

At some point I have to chime in and comment on this forum for which I've be a member for close to a decade. This is I think my third comment.

Anyway, I'm just glad that someone is making the Surround Master. I'm getting my home renos done and as soon as my home theater is up and running again I'm getting the V3! Sure, of course I would like HDMI included and Bluetooth and a remote and MM, MC with de-clicker etc...... but I'm patient and when you start to realise what the alternatives are, well.....

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next. Those electrostatic speakers have peaked my interest!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think we wouldn't be able to have them within the same processing unit?
It wasn’t me making the prediction, but as long as you’re asking, it would take a preamp,without RIAA EQ to drive a CD-4 demod. Unless you have some other sort of magic up your sleeve.

CD-4…If Involve ever decides to jump down that rabbit hole, please make it something that does not significantly increase the price of any future version of the Surround Master.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think we wouldn't be able to have them within the same processing unit?
I would not want them in the same unit because:

- Higher price (I don't want the CD-4).

- I would want them in separate units because the would have to be connected in different places.

Maybe Involve Audio could just build the JVC 4DD-5 CD-4 demod (again).

There isn't much in a CD-4 demod, FM demod (hardware), EQ & ANRS (both in software), extract the 4 channels (simple hardware).

Kirk Bayne

Back