Best XTC album for beginners

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Burns

If you were introducing newcomers to XTC, which album would you start them with?

"Skylarking" is the band's career peak and it's an obvious choice, but the sequencing makes it somewhat atypical, one of those releases that feels like a concept album even if it's not quite a concept album.

"English Settlement" is my favorite, but a double album could be a big ask for a first timer. Likewise "Oranges & Lemons," and there are stronger releases that that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend the first two albums, "White Music" and "Go 2." I seldom listen to them myself and never really cared for them.

Likewise I basically lost interest after "Oranges & Lemons," so I can't say much about "Nonsuch" and the others.

I'm thinking a release from the classic quartet lineup would be best (Partridge, Moulding, Chambers, Gregory). The trio's "Mummer" and "The Big Express" have much to recommend them (especially "Mummer"), but the band lost something important when Terry Chambers left.

That leaves "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea." On "Black Sea" we see signs of the ambitious concepts to come, so it's tempting. But in the end I choose "Drums and Wires." There's something really pure about it, the songcraft, the lingering punk energy, the spare production. It's a wonderful collection of tunes and great place to start.

P.S. My instincts tell me newcomers need some pure XTC under their belt before they're ready for the Dukes of Stratosphear.

P.P.S. I finally ordered the "Big Express" Blu-ray! It arrives tomorrow! I can't wait!

P.P.P.S. Or maybe just start them with "Skylarking"?

If you were introducing newcomers to XTC, which album would you start them with?

"Skylarking" is the band's career peak and it's an obvious choice, but the sequencing makes it somewhat atypical, one of those releases that feels like a concept album even if it's not quite a concept album.

"English Settlement" is my favorite, but a double album could be a big ask for a first timer. Likewise "Oranges & Lemons," and there are stronger releases that that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend the first two albums, "White Music" and "Go 2." I seldom listen to them myself and never really cared for them.

Likewise I basically lost interest after "Oranges & Lemons," so I can't say much about "Nonsuch" and the others.

I'm thinking a release from the classic quartet lineup would be best (Partridge, Moulding, Chambers, Gregory). The trio's "Mummer" and "The Big Express" have much to recommend them (especially "Mummer"), but the band lost something important when Terry Chambers left.

That leaves "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea." On "Black Sea" we see signs of the ambitious concepts to come, so it's tempting. But in the end I choose "Drums and Wires." There's something really pure about it, the songcraft, the lingering punk energy, the spare production. It's a wonderful collection of tunes and great place to start.

P.S. My instincts tell me newcomers need some pure XTC under their belt before they're ready for the Dukes of Stratosphear.

P.P.S. I finally ordered the "Big Express" Blu-ray! It arrives tomorrow! I can't wait!

I think Skylarking is a good start. What I think works great about that album is that Todd Rundgren reins in the sometimes pointless zaniness of the band, an issue I have with some of their other records.

I like your thinking. Although I feel the same way about the first two albums, they do have good cuts, which show up on Waxworks: Some Singles 1977-1982
https://www.allmusic.com/album/waxworks-some-singles-1977-1982-mw0000312817
I might start with that compilation, and then work my way through chronologically from Drums and Wires to the end. Since you are writing on a Quadraphonicquad.com, i'd encourage you to check out
Nonsuch! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
Reactions: SHB
For me it was the Xtc - Upsy Daisy Assortment Compilation that came out in 1997. That's where I began. I love that comp and that put me on the path to buy all their multi channel releases.

I think Skylarking is a good start. What I think works great about that album is that Todd Rundgren reins in the sometimes pointless zaniness of the band, an issue I have with some of their other records.

That's a great insight. Terry Chambers may have had a similar influence, somehow. "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" are tighter than much of what followed. Something similar happened with R.E.M. after Bill Berry left. What is it about drummers? They just want to get to the point.

Following this thread with interest.

Somehow XTC was never in my headlights through the years. The only song I have known and loved is Take This Town which I only know from the 1980 Times Square soundtrack. I have already preordered Skylarking because this seems like a band that I would like. Plus I’m a huge Rundgren fan.

Back