Best XTC album for beginners

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Burns

If you were introducing newcomers to XTC, which album would you start them with?

"Skylarking" is the band's career peak and it's an obvious choice, but the sequencing makes it somewhat atypical, one of those releases that feels like a concept album even if it's not quite a concept album.

"English Settlement" is my favorite, but a double album could be a big ask for a first timer. Likewise "Oranges & Lemons," and there are stronger releases that that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend the first two albums, "White Music" and "Go 2." I seldom listen to them myself and never really cared for them.

Likewise I basically lost interest after "Oranges & Lemons," so I can't say much about "Nonsuch" and the others.

I'm thinking a release from the classic quartet lineup would be best (Partridge, Moulding, Chambers, Gregory). The trio's "Mummer" and "The Big Express" have much to recommend them (especially "Mummer"), but the band lost something important when Terry Chambers left.

That leaves "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea." On "Black Sea" we see signs of the ambitious concepts to come, so it's tempting. But in the end I choose "Drums and Wires." There's something really pure about it, the songcraft, the lingering punk energy, the spare production. It's a wonderful collection of tunes and great place to start.

P.S. My instincts tell me newcomers need some pure XTC under their belt before they're ready for the Dukes of Stratosphear.

P.P.S. I finally ordered the "Big Express" Blu-ray! It arrives tomorrow! I can't wait!

P.P.P.S. Or maybe just start them with "Skylarking"?

If you were introducing newcomers to XTC, which album would you start them with?

"Skylarking" is the band's career peak and it's an obvious choice, but the sequencing makes it somewhat atypical, one of those releases that feels like a concept album even if it's not quite a concept album.

"English Settlement" is my favorite, but a double album could be a big ask for a first timer. Likewise "Oranges & Lemons," and there are stronger releases that that anyway.

I wouldn't recommend the first two albums, "White Music" and "Go 2." I seldom listen to them myself and never really cared for them.

Likewise I basically lost interest after "Oranges & Lemons," so I can't say much about "Nonsuch" and the others.

I'm thinking a release from the classic quartet lineup would be best (Partridge, Moulding, Chambers, Gregory). The trio's "Mummer" and "The Big Express" have much to recommend them (especially "Mummer"), but the band lost something important when Terry Chambers left.

That leaves "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea." On "Black Sea" we see signs of the ambitious concepts to come, so it's tempting. But in the end I choose "Drums and Wires." There's something really pure about it, the songcraft, the lingering punk energy, the spare production. It's a wonderful collection of tunes and great place to start.

P.S. My instincts tell me newcomers need some pure XTC under their belt before they're ready for the Dukes of Stratosphear.

P.P.S. I finally ordered the "Big Express" Blu-ray! It arrives tomorrow! I can't wait!

I think Skylarking is a good start. What I think works great about that album is that Todd Rundgren reins in the sometimes pointless zaniness of the band, an issue I have with some of their other records.

I like your thinking. Although I feel the same way about the first two albums, they do have good cuts, which show up on Waxworks: Some Singles 1977-1982
https://www.allmusic.com/album/waxworks-some-singles-1977-1982-mw0000312817
I might start with that compilation, and then work my way through chronologically from Drums and Wires to the end. Since you are writing on a Quadraphonicquad.com, i'd encourage you to check out
Nonsuch! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
I think Skylarking is a good start. What I think works great about that album is that Todd Rundgren reins in the sometimes pointless zaniness of the band, an issue I have with some of their other records.

That's a great insight. Terry Chambers may have had a similar influence, somehow. "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" are tighter than much of what followed. Something similar happened with R.E.M. after Bill Berry left. What is it about drummers? They just want to get to the point.

Following this thread with interest.

Somehow XTC was never in my headlights through the years. The only song I have known and loved is Take This Town which I only know from the 1980 Times Square soundtrack. I have already preordered Skylarking because this seems like a band that I would like. Plus I’m a huge Rundgren fan.

Yesterday I pulled out Skylarking and The Black Sea after not playing them for more than a year or more. Today it will be Drums and Wires and The Dukes. I’ll visit Mummer on LP after that. Truly a band that requires several listens to in order to appreciate.

Somehow XTC was never in my headlights through the years. The only song I have known and loved is Take This Town which I only know from the 1980 Times Square soundtrack. I have already preordered Skylarking because this seems like a band that I would like. Plus I’m a huge Rundgren fan.
Take this Town from Times Square Soundtrack was also my introduction!

Enjoy! It's wonderful, the soundtrack to this former 16-year-old's perfect summer 1987.

Black Sea is my favourite XTC album, and I think a perfect starting point - not too weird, not too polished, plenty of rock guitarisms from a post-punk band but with pop song craft at the core. It’s a perfect album in my view.

I would pair it with Skylarking which is even more perfectly crafted pop, with much less angularity and more studio sheen. It’s pretty much as good as Black Sea or better, and my second favourite.

Depending on which of these you like best I would look at the surrounding albums next.

When I am introducing someone to a band I love, I try to start them out with what I consider to be the most commercially accessible album, the one that has the most radio ready singles (whether they were actually popular or not). If they like it, then I point them to the more adventurous releases, which I think they will appreciate more after they have the more straight-ahead albums under their belt. For that reason (spoiler alert--look at my icon), I'd start with Oranges & Lemons, an incredibly melodic and Beatlesque album with a couple of singles that should have been #1 hits in a just and intelligent world! From there, I would have them journey both forward (Nonsuch) and backward (Skylarking) through the catalog, as well as discovering the band's brilliant alter ego The Dukes!

It is such fun to get someone into a band that you love! The trick is knowing where to start them so they will get hooked.

Depends on your taste in music. I'd probably start with Black Sea followed by Drums and Wires. Then English Settlement (my current favourite), Mummer, The Big Express, Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons. And of course, Dukes of Straosphear. They are all great albums and I recommend them all. It's a bit like saying which is the best Beatles album....

IMO, Black Sea is to XTC what Sgt. Pepper's is to the Beatles. Crazy ambitious with extended flashes of brilliance. Albeit occasionally inconsistent, it's a showcase for everything the band is capable of when operating at the height of its creative prowess. Right from the onset of "Respectable Street," XTC makes its presence known with authority. By the time you get to "Towers Of London," you know you are experiencing a classic record and true musical greatness. The production on this album is dense but dazzling. There is always something new to pick out and hear. This is even more-so true when you experience Steven Wilson's breathtaking surround mix. If you want to deep dive head-first in XTC, I don't think there is a better place to start than Black Sea. A safer option for some, especially those who lean towards Beatles / Beach Boys pop stylings is Nonsuch. It goes down sweet and easy but it lacks the edginess and audacity of Black Sea.

Last edited:

Drums and Wires was my intro. Still a great album!!

Back