2024 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I never knew that Haiku.
I'll have to see where it's available.
I wonder if Pete deBoer was involved on the new release?

I see it's a live release.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30437128...DwW43XGRqq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I believe it's only the improv track #3 that is live (not on the BD). Also, blu-ray has some animation going on. And Pete deBoer is credited as producer and mixer on Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/release/22299214-Blood-Incantation-Timewave-Zero

Actually, they've released Timewave Zero on 5.1 BD-A two years ago, mix credited to Pete deBoer.
Watching and listening to Timewave zero.
How did this one escape us here on QQ?
Stunning graphics.
Great electronic music.
Good mix too.

1000012671.jpg

Watching and listening to Timewave zero.
How did this one escape us here on QQ?
Stunning graphics.
Great electronic music.
Good mix too.

View attachment 108176
Interesting! Ordered this some time ago together with Tomita - Bermuda Triangle SACD. But both not shipped yet.
I've listened to it via bandcamp. They started as a death metal band with lots of growls. A very progressive change in their stile!

Interesting! Ordered this some time ago together with Tomita - Bermuda Triangle SACD. But both not shipped yet.
I've listened to it via bandcamp. They started as a death metal band with lots of growls. A very progressive change in their stile!

They still are a death metal band, but the ambient/electronic side is something they usually release as EP's between the longer albums. I think they're strongly influenced by the Berlin school of electronic music.

They still are a death metal band, but the ambient/electronic side is something they usually release as EP's between the longer albums. I think they're strongly influenced by the Berlin school of electronic music.
It's a strange connection between Berlin School and Death Metal. But anyway I like T.D.s - Ricochet and Opeth - Blackwater Park too. Just as an example. And it's probably not only me...

Wow--that's a significant batch of releases! Two of the albums (by Bebo Valdes and Franco Ambrosetti) are mixed by Jim Anderson, whom jazz fans will know for his fabulous immersive work for Patricia Barber, Jane Ira Bloom, Sammy Nestico, and others.

Bebo was one of those giants of mid-century Cuban jazz who were rediscovered in the wake of Buena Vista Social Club. (He did the soundtracks for Calle 54 and Chico and Rita, if you know those films.) Suite Cubana comes from his 2004 double album Bebo de Cuba.

Veteran Italian-Swiss trumpeter/flugelhornist Franco Ambrosetti is a major figure in European jazz; if you liked his Nora from a couple of years ago--a lush jazz-with-strings album orchestrated by the great Alan Broadbent, and which had a 5.1 mix by Anderson & Ulrike Schwartz--or even if you're just a sucker for anything involving guitarist John Scofield and/or drummer Peter Erskine, you'll dig Caress, too.

I don't know the other albums (or artists), but I'm eager to check them out, especially Ibeyi, who are the daughters of the late Cuban conguero (and member of Irakere and Buena Vista Social Club) Angá Díaz.

You can preview the Atmos mixes for everything except the Kim Planert single on Apple Music.

Last edited:
Weeks #30 & #31:

Last week I decided to skip this recap because only the new Opeth album was announced, but this week proved to be more fruitful, with Thin Lizzy's 1976 boxset consisting of two (!) records, though our QQ bunch will probably go with a more beefed up edition here, the standalone BD-A available through the SDE Surround Series program. Additionally, King Crimson had Red enhanced with another Steven Wilson Atmos mix.

Unfortunately, contrary to previous reports, the upcoming Green Day's American Idiot boxset doesn't appear to include an Atmos mix. It will be interesting to see if anything multichannel is going to be included in the 15th anniversary reissue of Mastodon's Crack the Skye, which also gets released in a configuration with a Blu-Ray in October.

There were a lot of downloads this week, as @humprof summarized in the previous post (I'll just add that the Suite Cubana and Sweet Caress albums are also available in 5.1 via NativeDSD.com), so I'll mention some from last week: Tarah Who?, Criibaby, The Picture and Look To Windward (all singles) plus albums by Erin McKimm and Maple Mountain Sunburst.

Last edited:
Wow--that's a significant batch of releases! Two of the albums (by Bebo Valdes and Franco Ambrosetti) are mixed by Jim Anderson, whom jazz fans will know for his fabulous immersive work for Patricia Barber, Jane Ira Bloom, Sammy Nestico, and others.

Bebo was one of those giants of mid-century Cuban jazz who were rediscovered in the wake of Buena Vista Social Club. (He did the soundtracks for Calle 54 and Chico and Rita, if you know those films.) Suite Cubana comes from his 2004 double album Bebo de Cuba.

Veteran Italian-Swiss trumpeter/flugelhornist Franco Ambrosetti is a major figure in European jazz; if you liked his Nora from a couple of years ago--a lush jazz-with-strings album orchestrated by the great Alan Broadbent, and which had a 5.1 mix by Anderson & Ulrike Schwartz--or even if you're just a sucker for anything involving guitarist John Scofield and/or drummer Peter Erskine, you'll dig Caress, too.

I don't know the other albums (or artists), but I'm eager to check them out, especially Ibeyi, who are the daughters of the late Cuban conguero (and member of Irakere and Buena Vista Social Club) Angá Díaz.

You can preview the Atmos mixes for everything except the Kim Planert single on Apple Music.
Review of the Ambrosetti album by jazz blogger and Wall Street Journal music writer Marc Myers:
https://www.jazzwax.com/2024/08/franco-ambrosetti-sweet-caress.html

NPR Tiny Desk Concert by Chucho Valdés (son of Bebo, founding member of Irakere, and a major pianist in his own right ):
https://www.npr.org/2024/08/09/g-s1-15990/chucho-valdes-tiny-desk-concert

Back