Billy Joel not interested in making a new album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1719404135911.png

Good. While I thought his new song was pretty good, I've always admired the fact that Billy did 12 albums in ~20 years and was done. We haven't (yet) been subjected to that late-career 'comeback' album which will almost certainly suck and tarnish his legacy, as so many other classic artists have done.

Or just keep cranking out albums year after year long past the point when he had anything relevant or interesting to say and we all just complain about how the new stuff isn't as good as the old stuff or remark that every new album is "His Best Since 'An Innocent Man'!" when it clearly isn't.

Always leave 'em wanting more.

I'm a huge Billy Joel fan. Have caught him live several times. including w/Elton.
Joel has given us so many great hits and lots of great deep tracks. As I've said on QQ previously, he owes us NOTHING. He's entitled to retire or semi-retire by playing live, but offering woefully few new compositions.

You've got to admire him for not doing a cash grab by releasing sub-standard new tunes.

"i don't care what you say, this is MY LIFE!" - BJ

Not being a fan, my first thought is “Hey man, thanks for the warning.” Seriously though, Billy Joel is revered by millions and deserves the requisite level of respect that he has earned. My issue with classic artists is they keep touring and some are delivering less than great shows (Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, don’t know about Billy Joel) or are enhancing their shows electronically (Eagles, KISS) to keep up. If people keep buying tickets, why would they stop? I get that, but it still tarnishes the legend in my eyes. I think blues artists are interesting in that they generally adapt well to the aging process and produce music that works for them and is still entertaining to their audiences. Rock stars just keep chasing the past.

I saw the 100th concert at MSG and was impressed. I don’t have all his albums (I don’t believe I have all the albums of anyone who made at least three), but the show was definitely worth sitting through the commercials. If all he’s doing is a monthly show at MSG, good for him.

I think his legacy is solid.

I saw the 100th concert at MSG and was impressed. I don’t have all his albums (I don’t believe I have all the albums of anyone who made at least three), but the show was definitely worth sitting through the commercials. If all he’s doing is a monthly show at MSG, good for him.

I think his legacy is solid.
For sure. Saw Billy Joel in the 1970's (Maple Leaf Gardens), one of the best concerts ever for me.

Others may disagree, but I believe Billy Joel is in the hierarchy of great American Pop/Rock songwriters. With Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Springsteen, James Taylor.... And likely a couple more I could add.
My world:>)
Simon love
Joel love
Dylan like a little

Taylor & Springsteen not here, it's a family affair.

My issue with classic artists is they keep touring and some are delivering less than great shows (Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, don’t know about Billy Joel) or are enhancing their shows electronically (Eagles, KISS) to keep up. If people keep buying tickets, why would they stop? I get that, but it still tarnishes the legend in my eyes.

Grace Slick: “All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire”. I don't know if 50 is a magic number...frankly because 50 now seems young to people in my age group...but certainly these folks should retire when the quality of the product significantly declines. For some it comes sooner and for others it comes later. I saw Neil Sedaka perform when was 70 and I was in awe because his performance was still top shelf.

Others may disagree, but I believe Billy Joel is in the hierarchy of great American Pop/Rock songwriters. With Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Springsteen, James Taylor.... And likely a couple more I could add.
I absolutely agree, his skills at weaving a story you can almost feel are special. Personally, I've always loved his music and as others have said. I'm glad he hasn't been barfing out late career nothingness. I'm happy to keep playing the old albums, they are great.

Lol... How many years ago did she say that? When she was 49!
49 years old...a mere child. :ROFLMAO:

Billy Joel has always been much more than just a rocker. He's been a rock, pop, CW (Billy The Kid), jazz, ragtime, adult contemporary, etc composer/performer his whole career. I've always loved the diversity of his repertoire.

Grace Slick: “All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire”. I don't know if 50 is a magic number...frankly because 50 now seems young to people in my age group...but certainly these folks should retire when the quality of the product significantly declines. For some it comes sooner and for others it comes later. I saw Neil Sedaka perform when was 70 and I was in awe because his performance was still top shelf.
Slick is right on. :cry:

Back