HiRez Poll Bruce, Jack - SONGS FOR A TAILOR [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jack Bruce - SONGS FOR A TAILOR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new box set of the classic album "Songs for a Tailor" by Jack Bruce.
The album has been newly remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by one of QQ's favs @Stephen W Tayler.

(y) :) (n)

jack_bruce_songs_for_a_tailor_.jpg

For me, this release is truly remarkable. Another absolute wonder from the mixmaster @Stephen W Tayler ! Let me begin with a story: when this first arrived, i was listening to it in my Quad space through the Surround Master. I grabbed the first disc (the original stereo mix), and played it several times. My reaction was . . . meh. Now that my wife has returned to her job as a high school teacher, i've been listening to @Stephen W Tayler 's 5.1 mix almost nonstop. Not only is it AMAZING, but it had me return to my Quad space and listen to his new stereo mix (CD #2) through the Surround Master: a revelation! Night and day, baby!

You know you are in for a treat from the opening brass blasts of "never tell your mother she's out of tune": they come alternately come from RR and RL and the front soundstage! It's a straight-up surround assault, and it's wonderful! What makes this @Stephen W Tayler mix top shelf, for me, is what he is able to do when the instrumentation is sparser (and don't forget he's also doing all of this from an 8 track base, as noted by @beerking ). For example, "theme for an imaginary western" is absolutely majestic with piano, bass, and drums up front and organ and vocal reverb (and a hint of drums) in the rears.

The range of songwriting on this release is especially rich. We get pop, rock, jazz, blues, orchestration--and it all comes absolutely ALIVE through @Stephen W Tayler 's masterful mixing. "tickets to waterfalls" and "weird of hermiston" (the song titles and lyrics by Peter Brown continue to reveal after repeated listens), again performed by just Bruce (bass, piano, organ, vocals), Jon Hiseman (drums), and Chris Spedding (guitar), sound almost sparkling. The final track of the original album, "rope ladder to the moon," sounds otherworldly! It begins all up front with acoustic guitar, bass, and drums, with drums and delayed vocals in the rears. Cellos (by Bruce) enter up front and in the rears, punctuated by piano all around the soundstage. Producer Felix Pappalardi provides backing vocals that further elevate the mix. Wonderful!

Side two of the original release opens with "the ministry of bag," another blues-jazz-pop-rock workout with blasting brass! The next cut, "he the richmond," features some exquisite acoustic guitar work from Bruce, percussion from Pappalardi, and some killer drumming from John Marshall (who appears on just two tracks). Again, despite the minimalist instrumentation, @Stephen W Tayler is able to make it a surround splendor.

Next up is a short burst of sonic wonder titled "boston ball game 1967"! This creative blast is followed by "to isengard," with a trio of acoustic guitars by Bruce, Spedding, and Pappalardi discretely placed and flowing from the four corners of my listening space. The folk dreamscape comes crashing to an end when Hiseman enters on drums and some wild electric guitar from Spedding accompanied by some of Bruce's best bass work, taking the tune to a jazzy cacophony of a closing. The final track, "the clearout," another trio piece, beginning with an almost militaristic Hiseman drum beat. @Stephen W Tayler again has Bruce's organ blasting from the rears whilst his bass rocks the front soundstage, and the album ends on a prog-pop high note with some trippy guitar work from Spedding!

I have been enjoying @Stephen W Tayler 's work since first i heard it on Be-Bop Deluxe's Sunburst Finish. For these ears, he continues to grow and perfect his craft and artistry with each succeeding release, and this one, given the source material, is one of his very best! A Tailor/Tayler made 10!

Last edited:
For me, this release is truly remarkable. Another absolute wonder from the mixmaster @Stephen W Tayler ! Let me begin with a story: when this first arrived, i was listening to it in my Quad space through the Surround Master. I grabbed the first disc (the original stereo mix), and played it several times. My reaction was . . . meh. Now that my wife has returned to her job as a high school teacher, i've been listening to @Stephen W Tayler 's 5.1 mix almost nonstop. Not only is it AMAZING, but it had me return to my Quad space and listen to his new stereo mix (CD #2) through the Surround Master: a revelation! Night and day, baby!

You know you are in for a treat from the opening brass blasts of "never tell your mother she's out of tune": they come alternately come from RR and RL and the front soundstage! It's a straight-up surround assault, and it's wonderful! What makes this @Stephen W Tayler mix top shelf, for me, is what he is able to do when the instrumentation is sparser (and don't forget he's also doing all of this from an 8 track base, as noted by @beerking ). For example, "theme for an imaginary western" is absolutely majestic with piano, bass, and drums up front and organ and vocal reverb (and a hint of drums) in the rears.

The range of songwriting on this release is especially rich. We get pop, rock, jazz, blues, orchestration--and it all comes absolutely ALIVE through @Stephen W Tayler 's masterful mixing. "tickets to waterfalls" and "weird of hermiston" (the song titles and lyrics by Peter Brown continue to reveal after repeated listens), again performed by just Bruce (bass, piano, organ, vocals), Jon Hiseman (drums), and Chris Spedding (guitar), sound almost sparkling. The final track of the original album, "rope ladder to the moon," sounds otherworldly! It begins all up front with acoustic guitar, bass, and drums, with drums and delayed vocals in the rears. Cellos (by Bruce) enter up front and in the rears, punctuated by piano all around the soundstage. Producer Felix Pappalardi provides backing vocals that further elevate the mix. Wonderful!

Side two of the original release opens with "the ministry of bag," another blues-jazz-pop-rock workout with blasting brass! The next cut, "he the richmond," features some exquisite acoustic guitar work from Bruce, percussion from Pappalardi, and some killer drumming from John Marshall (who appears on just two tracks). Again, despite the minimalist instrumentation, @Stephen W Tayler is able to make it a surround splendor.

Next up is a short burst of sonic wonder titled "boston ball game 1967"! This creative blast is followed by "to isengard," with a trio of acoustic guitars by Bruce, Spedding, and Pappalardi discretely placed and flowing from the four corners of my listening space. The folk dreamscape comes crashing to an end when Hiseman enters on drums and some wild electric guitar from Spedding accompanied by some of Bruce's best bass work, taking the tune to a jazzy cacophony of a closing. The final track, "the clearout," another trio piece, beginning with an almost militaristic Hiseman drum beat. @Stephen W Tayler again has Bruce's organ blasting from the rears whilst his bass rocks the front soundstage, and the album ends on a prog-pop high note with some trippy guitar work from Spedding!

I have been enjoying @Stephen W Tayler 's work since first i heard it on Be-Bop Deluxe's Sunburst Finish. For these ears, he continues to grow and perfect his craft and artistry with each succeeding release, and this one, given the source material, is one of his very best! A Tailor/Tayler made 10!
Fantastic review of Tayler’s latest surround masterpiece!

I have long been a fan of Jack's post Cream carrier. I am pleasantly surprised that this was chosen for a surround treatment and thankfull that Stephen was given the task as he definitely gets surround more than so many. The first released solo album is a tour de force and coupled with the mix a fantastic addition to anyone's catalog. The surround is great given the limited nature of the recordings. We seem to.have extra fidelity and a nice use of all the speakers.
I highly recommend the whole package.
Now will we get 'Things we like' and 'Harmony Row' as well how much deeper is the dive going to be. ?

Back