Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Receiving this box set for free was a delightful surprise, embodying the old adage 'the best things in life are free.' After a thirty-year wait, this gift, ideal for enjoyment on a marooned island, truly made my Christmas memorable.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to pick this up next year hoping for a price drop.
The way I look at it Jeffie, I paid $191 delivered for the Camel box set which contains in addition to a gorgeous book, 33 discs, 5 of which are BD~A/V discs containing 5 astonishing Stephen W. Tayler remixes so divide 191 by 33 and it averages $5.79 per disc [and some did get it for less]!

Hopefully it won't be sold out or OOP when you decide to PRESS PLAY!

Last edited:
The reviews are killing me; $200 (ouch) dollars later and it is on my waiting to arrive list.
Still, great value for the quantity of stereo and multis in the box.
If you remotely like Camel or even have a passing interest you'll not be dissapointed, though I'm far from even getting through 50% of what's on there it's probably the best value box ever released, I've listened to the 5.1 releases a few times, & maybe due to it being the album I'm most familiar with, Moonmadness is right up there with the best ever sounding surround release.
I'll not be even surprised to read comments like, how the heck had I never heard of Andy Lamiter never mind heard his playing, saw Camel for the 1st & only time in Germany Loreley 2018 (I think!) & his playing was amazing just jaw dropping.

Last edited:
Receiving this box set for free was a delightful surprise, embodying the old adage 'the best things in life are free.' After a thirty-year wait, this gift, ideal for enjoyment on a marooned island, truly made my Christmas memorable.
Maybe you tell JPC that you have received the package actually and refuse the refund? Just asking...

If you remotely like Camel or even have a passing interest you'll not be dissapointed, though I'm far from even getting through 50% of what's on there it's probably the best value box ever released, I've listened to the 5.1 releases a few times, & maybe due to it being the album I'm most familiar with, Moonmadness is right up there with the best ever sounding surround release.
I'll not be even surprised to read comments like, how the heck had I never heard of Andy Lamiter never mind heard his playing, saw Camel for the 1st & only time in Germany Loreley 2018 (I think!) & his playing was amazing just jaw dropping.
I have been a fan of Camel for a long, long time, and even myself am halfway digging into the bottomless riches of this release. I keep discovering something new and gratifying at every turn. I totally agree that this might qualify as the best value box ever released, will keep me busy for a long time !

So, my copy is still crawling through the system - now finally in the hands of USPS but still in LA. I have not received any word that someone may need to sign for the package when delivered. Still estimating some time next week. 🤞

Gotta admit on a disc by disc breakdown the cost is fair. Just a lot to pay for at once after the great releases this year.
Compare to the cost of Whos Next box set I was happy to pay for that and look what you get.
Agree but I wish there would have been other options for the surround mixes like stand alone discs or small CD + DVD-A Sets like the ones from Van der Graaf Generator or King Crimson. The Air Borne Set surely is fantastic and I like it but for me not being a hard core fan it has too much content. After I bought this set I looked for the VdGG limited box set release, also at a reasonable price point, but the nearly as big content of this set made me hesitant. Luckily I found that all 4 surround mixes of this set were released as the mentioned above CD/DVD-A Box Sets. So my decision was clear to go for these, although not as good a value as the "Charisma Years" set but without all the extra CD's I may not listen to.

...I looked for the VdGG limited box set release, also at a reasonable price point, but the nearly as big content of this set made me hesitant. Luckily I found that all 4 surround mixes of this set were released as the mentioned above CD/DVD-A Box Sets.
Those sets contain DVD-V with lossy DTS surround, not DVD-A. The only way to get the lossless surround is on the Blu-rays in the box set.

Well, it says DVD-Audio with Hjgh Resolution 5.1 Mix from Stephen W. Taylor. A DVD should have enough space for lossless shouldn't it?
But anyway, even if you're right, close enough for me!

Agree but I wish there would have been other options for the surround mixes like stand alone discs or small CD + DVD-A Sets
+1
I already own all the studio albums on LP, CD & SACD, and a few Live sets on DVD & Blu-Ray.
I have no need for the duplicate stereo CDs in the SDE Box Set.

I will wait for 'stand alone' Blu-Rays or Blu-Ray discs 1, 2 & 3 being offered by private sellers breaking up a SDE Box Set.
If neither of these options materialize, Oh Well ...

Last edited:
Well, it says DVD-Audio with Hjgh Resolution 5.1 Mix from Stephen W. Taylor. A DVD should have enough space for lossless shouldn't it?
But anyway, even if you're right, close enough for me!
Yes, unfortunately, the discs are mislabeled. It's a common practice nowadays.

I couldn't find the lyrics to Riverman, bonus track to The Snow Goose but actually composed for the abandoned project of a concept album around Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha (which Snow Goose replaced, as suggested by Doug Ferguson, the bass player) and recorded in June 1974. The "Riverman" would be Vasudeva, a key character in the novel, "she" probably Kamala, the courtesan, and "me" for sure Siddartha. Below my transcription, please advise if you hear something different.

Who sees the river rolling on
Who hears the music until now
The song she sings
Forever never out of tune
With the silver seasons of the moon

Oh river carry me away
Down to the place where dolphins play
All night and day
Together we should find a sea
The riverman and me

Riverman please tell me of your life
Riverman please tell me of the dreams that fill your eyes