• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

CD4 Demodulator

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People don't know how to to use PM's after many years on this forum? People don't know how to use postal money orders from like a hundred years ago?
Never mind CD-4 I am just flabbergasted.

Probably the best-looking and easiest to use of all demodulators. I have had mine for about 15 - 16 years and love it. The best features are:

1. Supports both magnetic and semi-conductor (strain gauge) cartridges
2. Has a meter, switchable for display of various functions, including carrier level and separation adjustment on the fly. You can use the meter instead of listening, to adjust levels going to any speaker. Great for adjusting for minimum output on the back channels during separation adjustment.
3. All controls on the front to allow above.
4. Switchable from input to the detector/demodulator to the direct output jacks which connect the phono inputs directly to the direct output jacks. Handy for connecting your turntable to another input such as a matrix decoder.
5. Automatic carrier level control and, even though it has carrier level adjustment, this circuit effectively obviates the need for these, as Lou Dorren explained. The Technics engineers insisted the adjustment be included even though they weren't really necessary, which I have verified.

About the only drawback is it doesn't have auxiliary inputs for a discrete input such as a Blu-Ray player or 4 channel tape deck.

These days, I would consider 150 bucks a pretty good deal for a working unit.

Doug
Considering the Panasonic se405 has input and switch for another accessorie, that was an oversite.
I have a AT 14sa that works best with my NOS JVC 4DD5. The needles have a tiny screw
that holds stylus shank and the cart had a broken needle, so I switched it with another shank
from my AT15s needle. The 14sa worked better than my 15s with brand new quad needles...Huh.

Considering the Panasonic se405 has input and switch for another accessorie, that was an oversite.
I have a AT 14sa that works best with my NOS JVC 4DD5. The needles have a tiny screw
that holds stylus shank and the cart had a broken needle, so I switched it with another shank
from my AT15s needle. The 14sa worked better than my 15s with brand new quad needles...Huh.
I tried to PM you with my zip but got this:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Quadchuck

Back