Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Concert ’72
Introduction
“Highway Star”
“Strange Kind Of Woman”
“Maybe I’m A Leo”
“Smoke On The Water”
“Never Before”
“Lazy”
“Space Truckin’”
“Lucille”
“Maybe I’m A Leo” – soundcheck

Well the 50th features an additional track, the soundcheck! So there's that!

But yeah, I always wonder if they go back to the PCM mixed masters for a given reissue, or just use Any DVD, DVD Audio Extractor, or an Oppo with SACD ripping capabilities to get their source files.

Since any of these* can rip perfect lossless copies, what is the problem?

(*I only know about DVD AE and player/SACD personally)

We're all focused on the surround content...
Looking at the description and track lists I don't see any inclusion of the 2024 mastered original stereo mix in 24 bit. Looks like CD only. I don't see any inclusion of the original mix of the single b-side When A Blind Man Cries in any format.

The new vinyl is not an all analog master of the original mix, FYI. It's the new stereo mix and slightly re-sequenced vs the original with the b-side included.

This is the 1st digital reissue of the US quad mix and then this new Atmos mix and all. Can't be unhappy about that. The omissions are head scratching though and sure seem to be lazy errors. A complete set would have been an instant sale at this price. I'm pausing now because my copy of this mix is not terrible.

And we need more deep dives into the live sets. Not just dusted off copies of the original stereo mixes. (Still include em tho!) Full new surround mixes! Yes Atmos too! I'm serious.

Any DP fan will already have an excellent mastering of the original stereo album and the B-side*. The stereo mastering provided on the DVD-A from 2001, for example, is superb.

So this becomes all about remixes.

*though there is always some maniac looking for a somehow 'better' one to be extracted like juice from a dried-up orange, to match their golden memory of hearing it on a shitty radio/stereo in 1973

Since any of these* can rip perfect lossless copies, what is the problem?

(*I only know about DVD AE and player/SACD personally)
The pre-mastered (earlier) PCM files are going to be purer and untampered with.

Nothing about that 60 page book? Or is it a booklet? I happen to like those hard cover books like the Black Sabbath, Beatles and original Aqualung SDE featured. I love holding the Tull with the textured surface, it's a beauty (even if those Aqualung BR discs are all going to eventually fail).

Last edited:
I tried my best to compare the various previous releases in an LiS video. You might have already seen it, and it might not have answered your questions. But, just in case!

@stoopid in case you don't have 18 minutes free, I apparently like the 5.1 SACD/DVD mix best, then the UK Quad SACD, for it's Quaddy discreteness, and lastly, not impressed with the US Quad mix.
I did the above video before I got CD-4 running!
Maybe I can do an update video, comparing all four mixes: US Quad, UK Quad, 5.1, and the new Atmos.
This time, I could demodulate my CD-4 LP, instead of relying on a rip.

I always base my buying decision on the Apple Music stream if it's available there, have saved me some money. I don't buy if I don't get to check the mix out beforehand, or its BS or SW mixing. If a Atmos mix is bad on streaming it don't get better on BD, the fidelity may be better, but the mix is still bad. ;)
Well..OK. This is an important album to me in my personal rock history. I don't fault your logic for buying / not buying for yourself. :)

I've seen a lot of prices being bounced around here and there. I know our UK and EU friends get squeezed on VAT. Here's what I paid, FWIW.
So in US dollars a little over 83$ at current exchange rates. (jpc.de)
Would rather a standalone BD, but I'm OK with the price, all things considered. Ain't gettin' no younger.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 204031.png

I've seen a lot of prices being bounced around here and there. I know our UK and EU friends get squeezed on VAT. Here's what I paid, FWIW.
So in US dollars a little over 83$ at current exchange rates. (jpc.de)
Would rather a standalone BD, but I'm OK with the price, all things considered. Ain't gettin' no younger.

View attachment 101204
I would expect a US offered release, or copies sold in the US from Warners, not needing to have one imported. I think that is the plan, a worldwide release of a set pressed up in Europe. Am I missing something here.

@stoopid in case you don't have 18 minutes free, I apparently like the 5.1 SACD/DVD mix best, then the UK Quad SACD, for it's Quaddy discreteness, and lastly, not impressed with the US Quad mix.
I did the above video before I got CD-4 running!
Maybe I can do an update video, comparing all four mixes: US Quad, UK Quad, 5.1, and the new Atmos.
This time, I could demodulate my CD-4 LP, instead of relying on a rip.
I wonder if starting a poll on this forum would reveal a clear favorite?

I'm planning on watching the video tonight but thanks for the summary. :)

Hey, since you're here, do you know if the blu ray has a stereo stream, and if so, what mix it is? I find it rather odd that one isn't listed, and I'm guessing someone just forgot to note it.

Also, do you know why the 5.1 mixes are listed as being from 2012, when they were actually made for the 2001 5.1 release?
The BluRay disc has Dweezil's Atmos, the U.S. quad & 3 vintage 5.1 tracks.
I assume the 5.1 mixes are dated 2012 because this set was originated/designed in the UK by the same team that assembled the 40th Anniversary Edition.

Last edited:
There are at least two, possible three or more, threads on QQ that have laid all of this information out already:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/decoding-deep-purple-machine-head.23780/post-430705https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/deep-purple-machine-head-sacd-help.34569/post-750870https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ad-mix-on-the-2003-emi-sacd.35401/post-752463https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ple-machine-head-cd-4-q8-qr.17210/post-630243https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...achine-head-dvd-a-sacd-japan.4389/post-576015

So again, in brief:
There are three surround mixes (soon to be four, with Atmos)
Two are quad from the 1970s, the UK and the US mixes. As mixes they are quite different and choice is subjective. The 'issues' mentioned are likely
- some missing parts/edits in the UK quad, though sound quality is considered good. Once thought by some to have incorrect rear channel assignment, but this has been debunked by steelydave on QQ. This quad mix has been released on SACD and DVD.
- sound quality of the available US quad digitizations done by fans, though this may improve when the official release on the SDE becomes available
The third is the 5.1 remix from 2001, which some consider a 'tame' mix, and which I consider to have excess reverb, though sound quality is otherwise great. This has been released on DVDA and SACD and three 'bonus tracks' from it keep getting tacked on to other releases.

for the love of all that is purple, can this info be made a 'sticky' somewhere on QQ with a loud title, so we don't retread this ground over and over?

And also , yes DWEEZIL ZAPPA MADE THE ATMOS MIX.
Maybe adjust your tone...not everyone has been here for years and reads every post.
Just food for thought!

Back