Dumb quetion about OPPO 203 and Apple TV 4k

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I do not have HDMI on the receiver in my office. Only 6 analog in for surround. I have been going out of my Apple TV 4k HDMI into the OPPO and have it set to downmix to 5.1 from the Atmos being played back. Am I getting proper 5.1 or something close? It sounds right but I've never been 100% sure.

Just so you know...

Apple TV 4K devices output all flavours of audio as Dolby MAT (ie: PCM with meta-data), they don't output a native bitstream. Unfortunately the OPPO UDP-203 does not support Dolby MAT so if in the future you decide to hook-up an AVR that supports Atmos, it wont work correctly!

If I had an AVR that supports Atmos I could just use the HDMI and bypass the OPPO. I will never have an ATMOS setup up speaker wise so I will always have to downmix. My family room AVR works with Atmos so it down mixes automatically.

Everything in my office is old school analog from my sound card to all my gear and my receiver. If I had an AVR that supports Atmos I know I can just use the HDMI and bypass the OPPO. I will never have an ATMOS setup speaker wise so I will always have to downmix. My family room AVR works with Atmos so it down mixes automatically. Just asking to see if it would be close for the office.

I do not have HDMI on the receiver in my office. Only 6 analog in for surround. I have been going out of my Apple TV 4k HDMI into the OPPO and have it set to downmix to 5.1 from the Atmos being played back. Am I getting proper 5.1 or something close? It sounds right but I've never been 100% sure.
I dont think you are missing anything.

Back