DVDFab vs Makemkv for ripping?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice to be able to rip complete Atmos tracks from physical media, or download them as files, if one has a full Atmos setup (or anticipates owning one). I don't enjoy depending on the whims of streaming services.
Why can't you rip complete Atmos tracks from physical media?
I mean I just rip the whole BD as .iso but you could rip as mkv then split into tracks?

The Atmos tracks ripped to mlp or even only to mka aren't any larger than ripped to wavpack, FYI. Mlp being whims dependent, wavpack not. Mkv will include video image and blow up the size.

Some worthy defenses back there! The HDMI jungle sounds particularly amusing. I'm not buying even more hardware workarounds for the extra hardware I didn't want to buy in the first place either.

No DAC shootouts here. Just keeping solid kit in service that I bought to sound "fully functional with no bs for a long time". You can't just replace all this with some cheapness. Not quite yet. Amplifier channels and DAC channels still cost a certain minimum. Dolby are crazy if they think I'm going to start treating this gear as disposable and buy a new 12 channel sound system like some people buy new phones.

So the first thought for a concession... some hardware decoding interface with only digital outs. And that carefully doesn't exist. Goes from zero to 100 with this stuff quickly. I've always got the party zone covered. Looking to listen to the big mixes on the big system, you know!

Last edited:
The Atmos tracks ripped to mlp or even only to mka aren't any larger than ripped to wavpack, FYI. Mlp being whims dependent, wavpack not. Mkv will include video image and blow up the size.

Some worthy defenses back there! The HDMI jungle sounds particularly amusing. I'm not buying even more hardware workarounds for the extra hardware I didn't want to buy in the first place either.

No DAC shootouts here. Just keeping solid kit in service that I bought to sound "fully functional with no bs for a long time". You can't just replace all this with some cheapness. Not quite yet. Amplifier channels and DAC channels still cost a certain minimum. Dolby are crazy if they think I'm going to start treating this gear as disposable and buy a new 12 channel sound system like some people buy new phones.

So the first thought for a concession... some hardware decoding interface with only digital outs. And that carefully doesn't exist. Goes from zero to 100 with this stuff quickly. I've always got the party zone covered. Looking to listen to the big mixes on the big system, you know!
I don't blame you for wanting to keep your DAC's if it makes you happy...and I realize you're not looking at the consumer side...but not all of us are firmly ensconced with a liberal bank account, neither do we see a need to over complicate things.. Most of us seem to be happy with a capable AVR that decodes all the major formats.
Buying a new AVR that does what we need it to do on a retirement budget is a big expense for some of us. Do you understand that? Yet, we do it. We don't all want a chain of devices. Some of us want to just play the music and get a worthwhile reproduction. Usually a device to send the 1's & 0's and a capable AVR is suitable for the majority.
That does not make us lesser audiophiles.
This constant harping on Dolby is not for all of us our axe to grind. It's like an unhealthy obsession.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep your DAC's if it makes you happy...and I realize you're not looking at the consumer side...but not all of us are firmly ensconced with a liberal bank account...
You are preaching to the choir my friend. My bank account is not so much conservative but more a work of fiction. Yeah, you caught me needing purchases to last a long time! The disposable thing has gone way too far for a lot of people. I'm a uniquely even tougher sell with that.

The notion to get something Amazon cheap and bluntly downgrade to a novelty system doesn't work for me. I can't afford to treat this stuff as disposable and buy a new full system. But I have all this gear I begged borrowed and... well, just got good deals on along the way. It felt like a strategic attack from Dolby because it pretty much was. I'm navigating that the best I can and saying "Hey everyone, look at this bit they did!" at every opportunity.

Surround sound is probably an unhealthy obsession for me in general, yes. :)

You are preaching to the choir my friend. My bank account is not so much conservative but more a work of fiction. Yeah, you caught me needing purchases to last a long time! The disposable thing has gone way too far for a lot of people. I'm a uniquely even tougher sell with that.

The notion to get something Amazon cheap and bluntly downgrade to a novelty system doesn't work for me. I can't afford to treat this stuff as disposable and buy a new full system. But I have all this gear I begged borrowed and... well, just got good deals on along the way. It felt like a strategic attack from Dolby because it pretty much was. I'm navigating that the best I can and saying "Hey everyone, look at this bit they did!" at every opportunity.

Surround sound is probably an unhealthy obsession for me in general, yes. :)
I get it. I'm pretty much in the same boat. Everything costs too much these days. Unfortunately all the old equipment I have is AVR's so upgrading the AVR made the most sense.

Back