Florida hurricane

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we all had different childhood dreams...I had several...the girl that sat next to me in Biology class...a 63 Split Window Corvette...and to grow up to be 6'5....oh well...I learned to adjust over the years...BUT NOT GETTING THE CORVETTE still hurts..
So much for biology!

OH boy....another briefing by the Governor telling us how much he has done and then each subordinate that speaks tells us what a great Governor he is yada yada yada....you maybe get 5 or 10 minutes of real information....
I hear you. Funny how gas stations are running out of fuel despite "all he has done". lol. The best thing we have going is the local boys and girls in the National Guard. I salute them.
After Idalia, we could not have got the last 4 miles back to our home afterwards if not for them clearing the roadways...and they have been set up in the area distributing MRE's, water, ice, tarps. after each hurricane.

When I was a kid, this guy in the neighborhood had a base station and an incredibly huge unit in his car. I guess that was still tube days pretty much in the 50's.
I knew several hams, including my fellow high school students. Seriously, if I were in a location that gets as much disastrous weather as you do, getting my license and a decent mobile rig in my vehicle would be high on my list. If you can find anyone near you who is a ham, get to know them well. They could save your life.

I nagged and nagged and nagged my parents for years to take me to Disneyland. Then when I lived in California, my home was only 7 miles from the park and I never went once. :ROFLMAO: For heaven's sake, I would only have had to make two turns to get there from the street that I lived on.

I did go to Disneyworld once, though.
I lived in Anaheim and Orange for about 45 years all told. My parents took me to Disneyland the year it opened (1955) and it was a place I went to many times. I just noticed that their one-day pass for someone over 9 years old just went over $200, and it doesn't include the California Adventure park.

When I worked at Altec, we were about two blocks from Disneyland (easy walking distance), and later a company I worked for bought the building at 1515 S. Manchester. It's a parking lot now.

Appears that a one day pass for Florida Residents at Disney World are about $150 each (before taxes) for 10+ years old. Yikes. Being as how I'd be sitting in the bar instead of trying to walk all over seems a bit much.
Disclaimer: I used to date a gal decades ago that was one of the "Minnie Mouse" characters at Disney World. She told me about all the underground passages for the characters and support crews and how hot those suits get in the Florida heat.

They were building Disney World when I was a kid in Florida in the Sixties. We moved before it opened. Thirty years or so later, my family and I went there, but I was pretty miserable. The heat and humidity were worse than even where I live, and I could no longer ride any of the rides because of inner ear or age or whatever. We did take a day trip to Cocoa, where I had seen from my backyard the launch of the first moon shot. I even found my old house before Google maps, etc.

I've been through as many typhoons as hurricanes, although they're really the same thing. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them much where I live, but Helene showed that nowhere is really safe.

Appears that a one day pass for Florida Residents at Disney World are about $150 each (before taxes) for 10+ years old. Yikes. Being as how I'd be sitting in the bar instead of trying to walk all over seems a bit much.
Disclaimer: I used to date a gal decades ago that was one of the "Minnie Mouse" characters at Disney World. She told me about all the underground passages for the characters and support crews and how hot those suits get in the Florida heat.
Two years ago next February we had a big family vacation at Disneyworld. Six adults & four grand kids. We stayed at one of the "cheaper" Disney resorts, the Pop Century. Sure my daughters & their family paid some pretty good money on stuff but all of the big stuff was courtesy of us. Throw in a couple of Disney theme dinners at about $600 each, expenses for crazy watch id bands that let you take a short cut in lines and the expense was at least $12k. Never really had the courage to do a hard total. But it was big fun & well worth it. It was the first time for my son in laws to visit so they had a blast.

Interestingly we originally had the trip scheduled for the previous September 2022. Hurricane Ian blew in. If we had stuck to plans we could have flown in probably, but then DW was closed for 2 days so we would just be sitting it out in the hotel room until the weather let up.

They were building Disney World when I was a kid in Florida in the Sixties. We moved before it opened. Thirty years or so later, my family and I went there, but I was pretty miserable. The heat and humidity were worse than even where I live, and I could no longer ride any of the rides because of inner ear or age or whatever. We did take a day trip to Cocoa, where I had seen from my backyard the launch of the first moon shot. I even found my old house before Google maps, etc.

I've been through as many typhoons as hurricanes, although they're really the same thing. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them much where I live, but Helene showed that nowhere is really safe.
A guy I worked with years ago used to take his & neighbor kids (all girls) to Disney World. He said so many of the girls/women dressed so skimpy that it was really hard to be a model Dad and not stare. lol.

61d32f51-66b1-4e93-87b8-8820b3340fb5.jpg

I respect the intention and ingenuity but 😂
PS. gotta tug the straps and slap the roof

I sort of understand the decision some people make to stay hunkered down. Not that I necessarily agree, but for some that's the way it is.
Finding a room, driving endlessly on a low budget is rough. Often times if you do find a room, it's expensive and they don't want your pets, no matter how small.
Disabled people need first floor rooms usually, another hurdle at times.
During Helene we drove hundreds of miles in search of someplace, anyplace safe to stay. We got lucky eventually after hours of driving. We dined on fast food at the sorriest Burger King I've ever had the limited misfortune to visit, and the people were shitty and unfriendly.
When we finally landed a room, the check in lady was so nice, so gracious, it was a huge relief.

Back