Hi-Res speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadrifonico

I'd love to hear your opinions; we listen to music through streaming services promising resolution (both for stereo and multichannel) higher than CD, we are proud of our SACD and DSD collection, and our blu-ray players and amplifiers are Hi-Res certified... But our speakers? Many people consider those simply marketing... And in any case they're still not very common. For example if I want to expand my 5.1 system to 5.1.4 I look for speakers matching the ones are already have and so on but rarely I hear people considering Hi-Res a deal breaker. Why? 😁

I'd love to hear your opinions; we listen to music through streaming services promising resolution (both for stereo and multichannel) higher than CD, we are proud of our SACD and DSD collection, and our blu-ray players and amplifiers are Hi-Res certified... But our speakers? Many people consider those simply marketing... And in any case they're still not very common. For example if I want to expand my 5.1 system to 5.1.4 I look for speakers matching the ones are already have and so on but rarely I hear people considering Hi-Res a deal breaker. Why? 😁
My understanding is that it's mostly a marketing term, especially with speakers. Sony uses the term a lot. Some take it to mean anything higher than CD resolution. For speakers you want something with a smooth frequency response both on and off axis. What is your current system? Take a look at Erin's Audio Corner, and Audio Science Review for very accurate measurements of speakers.

Hope this helps.

My understanding is that it's mostly a marketing term, especially with speakers. Sony uses the term a lot. Some take it to mean anything higher than CD resolution. For speakers you want something with a smooth frequency response both on and off axis. What is your current system? Take a look at Erin's Audio Corner, and Audio Science Review for very accurate measurements of speakers.

Hope this helps.
Thanks but simply a curiousity for opinions

Speakers are... analogue. So the term Hi-res does not apply, because Hi-res is used to describe the resolution of a digital file.

But some years ago, my brother in law told me about the existence of "Digital Speakers" that would be fed by a digital signal and using special "digital" transducers or processosrs would excite the speaker membranes. All digital, not with a DAC inside the Box.

But I haven't explored if that technology really exists and if it can be useful.

Speakers are... analogue. So the term Hi-res does not apply, because Hi-res is used to describe the resolution of a digital file.

But some years ago, my brother in law told me about the existence of "Digital Speakers" that would be fed by a digital signal and using special "digital" transducers or processosrs would excite the speaker membranes. All digital, not with a DAC inside the Box.

But I haven't explored if that technology really exists and if it can be useful.
Well that sounds experimental indeed; my curiosity is more speaker frequency response related since we love lossless stuff 😋 you know

Thanks but simply a curiousity for opinions
The suggestions above are valid. Erin and ASR are good places to understand speaker response through measurements, but also to look at measurements of AV products and deal with software room correction.
There are preferences in audio, but the foundations have to be found in science.

The suggestions above are valid. Erin and ASR are good places to understand speaker response through measurements, but also to look at measurements of AV products and deal with software room correction.
There are preferences in audio, but the foundations have to be found in science.
Definitely. Not diminishing what he suggested. I am thankful for all your comments or replies

Well that sounds experimental indeed; my curiosity is more speaker frequency response related since we love lossless stuff 😋 you know
Frequency response for most hi-fi speakers built in this century (and many from the previous century) goes well beyond what most people (and dogs) can hear.

While speakers are almost always the lowest-fidelity element in audio systems (their sound can vary widely from model to model), it’s probably the low end that is most likely to be deficient.

Frequency response for most hi-fi speakers built in this century (and many from the previous century) goes well beyond what most people (and dogs) can hear.

While speakers are almost always the lowest-fidelity element in audio systems (their sound can vary widely from model to model), it’s probably the low end that is most likely to be deficient.
Pure common sense👌🏻

Analogue systems can have different levels of resolution. It is not a characteristic unique to the digital domain. An out of focus photograph has low resolution, as does your eyesight if you need glasses. The equivalent lack of 'focus' in loudspeaker images could be caused by such effects as phase anomalies between drivers, time domain smearing, cross-over errors, internal cabinet reflections etc.

Analogue systems can have different levels of resolution. It is not a characteristic unique to the digital domain. An out of focus photograph has low resolution, as does your eyesight if you need glasses. The equivalent lack of 'focus' in loudspeaker images could be caused by such effects as phase anomalies between drivers, time domain smearing. cross-over errors, internal cabinet reflections etc.
Yes, but I would call that "analogue" resolution to diferentiate from the "digital" resolution given by the amount of bits and sample values.

The Hi-res, as a kind of branded name, I think, started to name the "digital" resolution. And if applied the same name to the analogue resolution, for me is a marketing naming strategy. The same they call Atmos both either to a Multichannel complex coding or to a binaural stereo.

Umm no they aren't
Genelec and Neumann DSP powered monitors are the most accurate,flattest speakers made
They are the "bees knees" but pricey.
A full Genelec surround system with Genelec subs all managed by Genlecs GLM room correction is pretty much unbeatable as far as flat freq response,directivity etc

Umm no they aren't
Genelec and Neumann DSP powered monitors are the most accurate,flattest speakers made
They are the "bees knees" but pricey.
A full Genelec surround system with Genelec subs all managed by Genlecs GLM room correction is pretty much unbeatable as far as flat freq response,directivity etc
If one is curious, take a look the KEF LS60 or the Dutch&Dutch 8c.
There are many others, some from familiar audio brands, but they are still in the minority.

Some of this is matter of fact terms. Some is brochure speak.

"Digital speaker" would mean a combo product that is a speaker with not only an amplifier built in but also an audio interface. Hence the digital input.
Or it could be lies and brochure speak! Analog input? A lie then. USB input? Then it's a combo box with 3 things: Speaker, amp, USB audio interface.

"Powered speakers" are just a regular speaker with an amp built into the enclosure.

The passive speakers, the amplifiers, and the audio interfaces used in these combo products can be a range of quality. From pure novelty to high end audiophile.

"Studio monitor" vs. not can have some meaning. A lower budget consumer speaker that is not full range might have some intentional non-flat hype because it sounded better to the maker than the thing doing its best flat.
A studio monitor will still aim for flat response even in a lower budget design.

"Digital ready" sounds like brochure speak. Digital recording is just recording. The device is digital now. Did we used to say "Magnetic ready" for speakers? How about "Music ready"! My speakers are "music ready"!
Yeah, I hope so, right?

"High resolution"!
You mean like for listening to audio?
Again, I hope so!

Brochure speak is usually a negative mark to me. You just don't do this unless you have something to hide or someone to bamboozle.
"Computer speakers" would be the ringer example, right?
There's no such thing of course. They're little powered speakers. And then it appears that someone decided to use this brochure speak to suggest that you might need a special product to use with a computer.

"Digital speaker" would mean a combo product that is a speaker with not only an amplifier built in but also an audio interface. Hence the digital input.
Or it could be lies and brochure speak! Analog input? A lie then.
Not a lie if the analog input is in addition to the digital one and is supported by an internal A/D conversion. See the KEF LS60 cited above.

Not a lie if the analog input is in addition to the digital one and is supported by an internal A/D conversion. See the KEF LS60 cited above.
Point being that if it was only a traditional analog product, then that would be brochure speak and technically inaccurate.

An audio interface input in addition to the root analog input (or vice verse if you prefer) is a fine thing.

But wait though!
Some product takes an analog input, puts it through an ADC to digitize it, to route that back to the interface digital input?! A round trip conversion and a whole ADC stage just for that? That would be mighty weird!
Yeah sure, to use their DSP and all. Still weird!

That's the kind of weird consumer product that might have some gimmick that might carry a little weight but you could have 10 times the performance with a traditional product for half the price with more careful shopping. With speakers and amps anyway!

It,s only marketing speech to motivate listeners of high res music to buy their stuff. Nothing in passive speaker design has dramatically changed over the past 50 or 60 years. Any speaker can reproduce high res or even higher res (if you talk frequencies) of an analogue signal coming from a turntable. Differences are only sound qualities of the designs and chassis used like with any other parts of your equipment. Different subject is high resolution active speakers using digital interfaces etc., etc..

Last edited:
Back