In Search Of: Storage Ideas for CDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: Sincerely appreciate everyone's input already! Please keep your ideas coming!

So a little over half my "high resolution" collection is now sitting in wood wine crates that my friend makes handles into. You can imagine the mental gymnastics required to remember what is in which box. That said, I have purchased a bunch of dollies that do make it easy to move these stacks around easily. The rest are in Costco boxes and beast of a file folder :)

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on a more elegant / permanent solution. Without breaking the bank. Looking to rehome about 1200 discs.

Also, I'm not a DIY person... so that avenue is closed :)

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• CDStorage2.jpg
    CDStorage2.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A LONG time ago I got a media shelf system (think lower profile book shelf). This included adjustable shelves so you can put media of various case sizes/types. My deluxe sets sit elsewhere because they're just seemingly too big for any reasonable solution. By the sound of it you'd need a few of these.

The only con is this takes up a lot of wall space. The pro is that I have a literal library at my finger tips.

[this might even be the exact one I have, surprised they're still making it with all the "physical media is dying" talk]

https://www.target.com/p/71-34-oskar-media-tower-maple-atlantic/-/A-13368304

Mine came with a wall mount adapter for connecting the top to the wall to prevent it from leaning/falling forward, but it's stable without. I just wouldn't trust it without.

A LONG time ago I got a media shelf system (think lower profile book shelf). This included adjustable shelves so you can put media of various case sizes/types. My deluxe sets sit elsewhere because they're just seemingly too big for any reasonable solution. By the sound of it you'd need a few of these.

The only con is this takes up a lot of wall space. The pro is that I have a literal library at my finger tips.

[this might even be the exact one I have, surprised they're still making it with all the "physical media is dying" talk]

Mine came with a wall mount adapter for connecting the top to the wall to prevent it from leaning/falling forward, but it's stable without. I just wouldn't trust it without.
Thank you - I'll put this on the short list! I really want to tag you in my response, but I would feel ungrateful quoting your name! :D

And agreed - shocking that it is still available. I recently tried to purchase a relatively recent IKEA product which is on their site (not deprecated, I last bought it 3 years ago) - but it won't let me order. Had to go through an eBay retailer instead...

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on a more elegant / permanent solution. Without breaking the bank. Looking to rehome about 1200 discs.
The Ikea Kallax shelfing units provide an awesome option for the CD, LP and so much more.
I built this large 4x4 unit for myself here, used for other things but the internal size of each cube is 13 1/4 x 13 1/4, just perfect for this application, there are all sort of building combinations etc available for you to build to taste.

kallax-shelf-unit-white__1084593_pe859716_s5.jpg

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-white-30275861/

I'm a streamer who immediately sucks everything into the computer, so my needs may be different from yours.

Having said that, I like https://www.containerstore.com/s/of...arge-media-storage-box/12d?productId=10028031from The Container Store. When JewelSleeve was still in business, I bought a ton of their product, which allows me to dump the hefty plastic cases while still keeping the artwork and discs together.

I've never attempted to quantify how many discs in JewelSleeves I can fit into one of those, but it's easily in the hundreds.

I use these cabinets for CDs.

https://can-am.ca/CD-storage-DVD-st...MIxOO5-5KxhwMVoR6tBh1e2woFEAAYASAAEgLYf_D_BwE

They are high capacity in a small space and seem to be well-built. I bought mine 20 years ago, so I have not checked prices recently.

View attachment 107724View attachment 107725
Thank you @kcrimson. You hold court today on this discussion :D

These are metal shelves a la tradition steel file folder cabinets?

Wait! Just saw this on their site....

Dust-Free And Secure.
Can-Am vinyl storage cabinets feature a lock for safety and security. The cabinets are equiped with an interlocking mechanism that allows only one drawer to open at a time.
Eco Friendly As Well.
Can-Am cabinets are made of steel. Nothing is stronger or more durable and since steel is completely recyclable your cabinets will never end up in a landfill.

I'm a streamer who immediately sucks everything into the computer, so my needs may be different from yours.

Having said that, I like https://www.containerstore.com/s/of...arge-media-storage-box/12d?productId=10028031from The Container Store. When JewelSleeve was still in business, I bought a ton of their product, which allows me to dump the hefty plastic cases while still keeping the artwork and discs together.

I've never attempted to quantify how many discs in JewelSleeves I can fit into one of those, but it's easily in the hundreds.
Thank you! The wine crates have definitely been an adequate enough solution (over plastic cases)

You folks and your user names today! First there was "stoopid" and now "atrocity" 😄

You folks and your user names today! First there was "stoopid" and now "atrocity" 😄
I have no idea where I came up with it (or who I stole it from) but half a century ago when teenage me made 8mm movies (not even Super-8!) they were always "An Atrocity Production" and for some reason it's just stuck for all these decades.

Case Logic Cases/Binders are one solution. I have several, they have pockets for the CD's and artwork letting you get rid of the jewel boxes.

The only reason that I haven't put all my collection in these binders is that I like to keep my collection stored more or less in alphabetical order. That would require reshuffling everything each time a new title was added!

I confine "Various Artists" titles to my binders as sorting them alphabetically is not really that important. I keep another binder for Christmas CDs.

I love the "mini LP" CDs, they don't take up much space on a shelf.

Someone lost sight of the meaning of the word "compact", when they designed the jewel box to house the "compact disc"!

This is exactly what I bought (except mine is black) when my primary shelf hit the overflow limit. Now I have separated my surround collection on my main shelf unit and put all my regular CDs on this one - it holds a lot of CDs (not exactly sure how many, but certainly hundreds).

That's a lot of discs but have you ever considered ripping them to hard drives.
Ten a night and you'll be done in 4 months ?
I like to rip my discs to hard drives but that still won't solve his storage problem. Some of us (collector types) like to keep the physical discs as well, even if they seldom if ever get played anymore.

Back