HiRez Poll J. Geils Band - NIGHTMARES...AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of J. Geils Band - NIGHTMARES...AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
MIx is pretty good, but instances of surround being a little too loud. Then again, these are old mixes, so who knows what was intended by the engineer and band.

Taking material and performance into account, it's really between a 7 and 8, but it's a very solid disk.

Huge J Geils Band fan, so I grabbed this immediately. I found it a mixed bag- while I could hear the music clearer (noticing parts and effects never picked up in 40 years of stereo listening), I also found the vocals too recessed in the Quad version. I’d give it an 8 out of 10

About to get a bevy of hand-picked titles and this is going to be one of them. Were you guys aware one of the reasons for the quad success was that it was surround-mixed by the original producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk? Bonus points right there :)

This is a GREAT party album! I came to the J. Geils Band late (1981's Freeze Frame), but i did score the CD-4 of this one when i recently returned to vinyl. This blu-ray lets me hear the Quad mix in all its glory! Another gem from Rhino! Lots of fun stuff going on throughout. Although i can't seem to crank this one as much as, say, Paranoid, and although i'd prefer Wolf's vocals in a phantom center rather than all four speakers, this mix brings me enough joy to warrant a strong 9 – mighty fine! Highlights include the powerful opener, "Detroit Breakdown"; the killer mix of the single, "Must Of Got Lost"; the trippy interlude, "Nightmares" that reminds me of doing whippits in the walk-in at my first job; the nearly seven-minute workout of "Stoop Down #39"; the Quadalicious mix of "Funky Judge"; and the downright intense closer, "Gettin' Out," that must be what the band sounded like live back in the day. This one has racked up a LOT of time in my Quadio rotation!

Last edited:
Quite simply, this disc is a great deal of fun to listen to! While not a masterpiece of songwriting, it is quite entertaining and Peter Wolf is always a great vocalist.
The songs also reflect a pretty good sense of humor, and the audio is certainly on point - Rockin’ music with no ear fatigue at higher volumes (this music needs to be played loud!).

Gotta give it a “9”, thanks Rhino - looking for “Bloodshot” in the future!

Back