Jethro Tull - A Passion Play CD/DVD set - Burning Shed pre-order

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frantic

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Just got my digs in on the pre-order from Burning Shed.
Looks like the end of June for this unless postponements happen.

Tracks
CD 1 - A Passion Play (A new Steven Wilson stereo mix):

1. Lifebeats/Prelude
2. The Silver Cord
3. Re-Assuring Tune
4. Memory Bank
5. Best Friends
6. Critique Oblique
7. Forest Dance #1
8. The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles
9. Forest Dance #2
10. The Foot Of Our Stairs (+ 2 extra verses found on end of multi-track reel)
11. Overseer Overture.
12. Flight From Lucifer
13. 10.08 to Paddington
14. Magus Perde
15. Epilogue

CD 2 - The Chateau d'Herouville Sessions (A new Steven Wilson stereo mix):

1. The Big Top
2. Scenario
3. Audition
4. Skating Away
5. Sailor
6. No Rehearsal
7. Left Right
8. Solitaire
9. Critique Oblique (Part I)
10. Critique Oblique (Part II)
11. Animelee (1st Dance) [Instrumental]
12. Animelee (2nd Dance) [Instrumental]
13. Law Of The Bungle (Part I)
14. Tiger
15. Law Of The Bungle (Part II)

DVD 1 (Audio & Video):

Contains A Passion Play mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and PCM 96/24 PCM stereo. A flat transfer from the original master at PCM 96/24 stereo and video clips of The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles an intro and outro film footage used in the Passion Play tour of 1973.

DVD 2 (Audio only):

Contains The Chateau d'Herouville Sessions mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and PCM 96/24 PCM stereo.

In the 80 page book:

* An extensive article by Martin Webb on the preparation and recording of the album and the 'Chateau disaster' sessions that preceded it.

* Steven Wilson's thoughts on mixing the recordings.

* Memories of the cover shoot and Hare filming by dancer Jane Eve (Colthorpe)

* The Rev'd Godfrey Pilchard's recollections.

* 1973 tour history.

* Recollections of touring and PA systems by sound man Chris Amson.

This package looks to be beautifully done.
This is surely a wonderful year for surround. :smokin

Hopefully by the time Heavy Horses comes out they move up to Blu-ray.

Steven Wilson Has “Passion” For Jethro Tull’s “Play” With New Box Set
Read more: http://theseconddisc.com/2014/06/18...ssion-for-jethro-tulls-play-with-new-box-set/

Jethro Tull continues its series of deluxe reissues with producer/engineer Steven Wilson on July 1 with the release of the (slightly belated) 40th anniversary edition of 1973’s A Passion Play. Following the reissues of Aqualung and most recently, Thick as a Brick, the deluxe A Passion Play: An Extended Performance will include 2 CDs and 2 DVDs – containing new stereo and 5.1 surround mixes of the original album and previously unreleased material – along with an 80-page book. As with Thick as a Brick, the set is priced affordably; as of this date, it’s available for pre-order at a cost of less than 30 dollars.

A Passion Play was the band’s sixth album, and arrived on the heels of the U.S. chart-topping Thick as a Brick. Whereas that album featured one lengthy, continuous composition (split on two sides of vinyl, of course), A Passion Play featured separate songs, though the original LP did not identify them. Part I occupied Side One of the LP, with Part II on Side Two. The same line-up as Thick as a Brick played on its follow-up: Ian Anderson on flute, acoustic guitar and saxophone, Martin Barre on guitar, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond on bass, Barriemore Barlow on drums and John Evans on keyboards.

The quintet began work at Château d’Hérouville. The studio, located near Paris, was the Honky Château of Elton John fame, and was also utilized by artists from Cat Stevens to Pink Floyd. Yet the band found that it was not the ideal setting to bring their new album to life. Despite recording roughly an hour of music, the band was dissatisfied with both the studio’s technology and its living accommodations. The group returned home to the U.K. where work began on an all-new set of songs and recordings.

Recorded in a whirlwind of activity before the band was set to begin a new tour, A Passion Play was composed (primarily by Ian Anderson) to explore the notion that choices might still be faced in the afterlife. Taking the form of a four-act play, it began with the character of Ronnie Pilgrim’s death and funeral (which he attended in spectral form) and followed him through the afterlife, to Heaven, Hell and beyond. Par for the Tull course, it combined poetry and rock, and melded rock, jazz, and folk sensibilities into an intricate whole. Though it didn’t meet with critical acclaim at the time, the prog-rock opus followed Thick as a Brick to the top of the U.S. charts upon its release in July 1973.

I have been watching this on Amazon for awhile and just until recently the price was $28-29 for preorder. I checked it today and it has shot up to $39. This was a little surprisingly.

Yesterday I had an email from Amazon.de, stating the release date of the 2CD/2DVD box has been pushed back to 11 July 2014. Any official news on that, as Burning Shed and amazon.co.uk still mention 30 June 2014 as the release date?

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/50108/thread
passionplayad_zpsd49686e4.jpg

This is on the Amazon.de website today, basically saying the release date is 11 July 2014.
If it's only amazon.de that is delayed i might cancel and try somewhere else. I must have this!

A Passion Play (An Extended Performance) [CD+DVD, Box-Set]
Jethro Tull | Format: Audio CD
4.6 von 5 Sternen Alle Rezensionen anzeigen (24 Kundenrezensionen)
Preis: EUR 23,99 Kostenlose Lieferung. Details
Alle Preisangaben inkl. MwSt.
Vorbesteller-Preisgarantie Weitere Informationen.

Dieser Artikel erscheint am 11. Juli 2014.
Bestellen Sie jetzt.
Verkauf und Versand durch Amazon. Geschenkverpackung verfügbar.

This is on the Amazon.de website today, basically saying the release date is 11 July 2014.
If it's only amazon.de that is delayed i might cancel and try somewhere else. I must have this!

A Passion Play (An Extended Performance) [CD+DVD, Box-Set]
Jethro Tull | Format: Audio CD
4.6 von 5 Sternen Alle Rezensionen anzeigen (24 Kundenrezensionen)
Preis: EUR 23,99 Kostenlose Lieferung. Details
Alle Preisangaben inkl. MwSt.
Vorbesteller-Preisgarantie Weitere Informationen.

Dieser Artikel erscheint am 11. Juli 2014.
Bestellen Sie jetzt.
Verkauf und Versand durch Amazon. Geschenkverpackung verfügbar.

Amazon UK still has 30 June as the release date, and Burning Shed's twitter feed from today says that this is shipping this week in time for next Monday's (30th) release date. So it looks like its hopefully not delayed in England. Perhaps that's to compensate us for being out of the World Cup, whereas you're still in it!

[video=youtube;vfB4dSUTFgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfB4dSUTFgE[/video]

Not sure how excited I am about hearing the "Chateau" disc as I heard some previews of the new mixes today (via iTunes) and can't say that I was really impressed with that material
However, what really perked up my ears was "Skating Away…" and "Only Solitaire" as it sounds like they are exactly the same takes as what was eventually used on "War Child", just without certain overdubs.
So while we wait for a possible stereo/5.1 remix of "War Child", we will at least have new (alternate) stereo/5.1 remixes of those 2 "War Child" tracks to enjoy. :)

However, what really perked up my ears was "Skating Away…" and "Only Solitaire" as it sounds like they are exactly the same takes as what was eventually used on "War Child", just without certain overdubs.

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that. That's a nice bonus. "Skating Away" is one of my faves.

APP deluxe - a quick review:

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL APP in all forms. Phenomenal 5.1
The Foot Of Our Stairs with 2 extra verses found on the end of the multi-track reel that have been added back in is quite jarring after all these years. ...trying to decipher what's going on with the bomb in his pocket. :D
The bonus material on CD is all very natural since the echo that is on Nightcap is gone from the stereo version. The album in 5.1 is phenomenal to say the least. Château d'Hérouville Sessions material in 5.1 is a joy to me, too. Impressive is Steven Wilson's new stereo mix. All sound great including the original mix flat transfer of the album. A WINNER!

Back