HiRez Poll Katatonia - Great Cold Distance (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - GREAT COLD DISTANCE

• 10: Great fidelity, Great Surround Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor fidelity, poor surround, poor content

• Total voters
This album is divine, shame vocals are so low and fronts compressed to hell on the 5.1 mix. I love the production, and the drumming is brilliant. I wish SW would mix the full Katatonia back catalog.

Linky? How many of their albums are in surround?
I'm digging Great Cold Distance. Yeah, I agree on the compression. Ugh. It's not terrible, but why-eee???
https://www.burningshed.com/index.asp?page=search

Yeah absolutely no point in the compression used. We have volume knobs. This is not an mp3 on a tablet. SW would have made this disc a 10 and one of the greatest surround releases of all time.

After setting up my new system in September I said to myself I'd be reviewing every single multichannel album I have over the next few months, so here I go with another one. I'm trying to give priority to the releases that don't have too many reviews.

This is a special album for me. Katatonia have been one of my desert island bands for nearly two decades and this isn't just an album I love musically, but also one associated with some beautiful memories of my personal life.

If I remember correctly, this was only the second time Jens Bogren did a multichannel mix (the first one being Opeth's Ghost Reveries). I was extremely disappointed with Opeth's 5.1 mix and my recollection was that this Katatonia release was only marginally better. But it's actually a lot better than I remembered! Or, at least, it sounds way better on my new, higher quality system.

The stereo mix of this album was reference stuff for me when it was released, and still is as of today. In my view, this is still the best sounding metal release of the current century. The mastering is louder than I'd like, but somehow it still manages to sound amazing, and the guitar and drums sound has never been bettered to my ears, when it comes to modern metal music. To date, I've failed to find anything else in the genre that sounds so amazingly massive and clean at the same time, even from Bogren himself, who in my opinion is the best mixing engineer for metal music in stereo.

In my memory, the 5.1 mix was basically big stereo. My memory was wrong: there's plenty of discrete moments, and the stunning clarity of the recording lets every single element have its place in the mix. Katatonia's music, albeit not too complex, is full of subtle layers of backing vocals, keyboards and electronic soundscapes that may seem buried under the massive riffage at first, but make for a much richer listening experience if you pay attention. That's why multichannel mixes enhance their music so much.

Even if it's a bit unadventurous and safe, it's a tasteful, decently discrete (including a few fun swirling guitars!) and crystal-clear mix that leaves me satisfied rather than frustrated, unlike Ghost Reveries. Or maybe I should revisit that one as well? It might be better than I remember, too. Anyway, I'm voting 8 for this DVD-A (before revisiting it, I thought I'd be voting 6, based on my memories).

I'm curious about how this will compare to 2017's 5.1 mix by Bruce Soord of the same album. I missed that physical release (it's out of print) but I'll be purchasing it digitally from IAA shortly.

Back