Latest Prerecorded 2ch Cassette or Reel, What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Please, no 8-tracks or Quads. Those are covered in other threads. Kindly specify the speed for reels.

Even though I don't buy tapes, I still seem to acquire a few here and there. I was given a sealed cassette of Duke Ellington's Greatest Hits with a Tower sticker still attached.

1738907.jpg

tape cassettes? hmmm I bet there are still some stores that sell NOS tape cassettes.- are you sure its a completely dead format yet

cool I guess not, sorry if I misread your thread, I guess your looking at reel to reel as well- wish I could help, hopefully someone will chime in

Thank you for this thread!
My heart still goes out to this medium. (And wallet too!)

Latest addition off of Ebay:

Reel to Reel
Sealed - Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses" 7.5 ips

Thank you for this thread!
My heart still goes out to this medium. (And wallet too!)

Latest addition off of Ebay:

Reel to Reel
Sealed - Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses" 7.5 ips
You won't be too happy when you receive it. It's 3 3/4 and sounds lousy. What's the auction number?

Some stuff still not available on cd-just received God Save The King/The League Of Gentlemen by our friend Mr R Fripp.

You won't be too happy when you receive it. It's 3 3/4 and sounds lousy. What's the auction number?

You are right, 3 3/4 it is! My mistake as I mixed it up with other 7.5 purchases.
I have not opened it yet.
Should I leave it sealed? LOL

If you do decide to open it and play it, for best results listen while mowing the lawn, vacuum cleaning or when the dishwasher is running.

Since I recently got my Sony TC-277- repaired, and it is my first reel deck, I bought a nice stack of tapes today. This whole stack was $45. Some of them are 3 3/4, don't beat me up too badly.

Leonard Bernstein - Ride Of The Valkyries (7 1/2 IPS)

Glen Campbell - Galveston (3 3/4 IPS)

Blood, Sweat & Tears (7 1/2 IPS)

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man (7 1/2 IPS)

Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (7 1/2 IPS)

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap - Incredible (7 1/2 IPS)

Vanilla Fudge - Renaissance (3 3/4 IPS)

Steppenwolf - The Second (3 3/4 IPS)

Child Is Father To The Man will have quite a bit of tape on the reel.

I wanted one of those back in the day. Too pricey though. I did buy an Elcaset unit. That sure sucked.

I had a chance to pick one of these bic 3 3/4 speed cassette decks at a salvation army years back, but passed on it because of the clunky piano style play key. I have never even seen an Elcaset, but would buy it immediately if i ever do.

I'mm really starting to see why people gripe bout 3 3/4 reels now that I've been a reel deck owner for a little while. It wouldn't be so bad if so many of them didn't have serious drop-out issues...

Since it takes twice as long for a dropout to pass over the playback head, it will be more pronounced at 3 3/4. BTW: every reel deck I've owned record nicely at 3 3/4, but prerecorded 3 3/4 tapes are something I usually avoid. For any critical recording, 7 1/2 and 15 ips are my speeds of choice.

I'mm really starting to see why people gripe bout 3 3/4 reels now that I've been a reel deck owner for a little while. It wouldn't be so bad if so many of them didn't have serious drop-out issues...

Back