Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye HFPA Blu-ray Coming March 2015

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shall we start a betting pool on whether or not the 5.1 mix is sourced from the DSD/SACD master, or if they actually went back to the original 5.1 mix in whatever format it was done in, either PCM or analog tape?

My guess is spectral analysis will show DSD-related ultrasonic noise, but as always I hold out a small hope that I'll be proven wrong.

Shall we start a betting pool on whether or not the 5.1 mix is sourced from the DSD/SACD master, or if they actually went back to the original 5.1 mix in whatever format it was done in, either PCM or analog tape?

My guess is spectral analysis will show DSD-related ultrasonic noise, but as always I hold out a small hope that I'll be proven wrong.

Well what's the DVD-A sourced from? Is it true High-Res 96 kHz PCM, or was it sourced from the DSD, which would mean DSD-related ultrasonic noise?

Well what's the DVD-A sourced from? Is it true High-Res 96 kHz PCM, or was it sourced from the DSD, which would mean DSD-related ultrasonic noise?

I haven't got the DVD-A but the other Universal DVD-As that were originally SACDs were a bit of a crapshoot. Some were pure PCM (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, the Marvin Gaye greatest hits comp) but lots were just ports of the DSD master, including Steely Dan's 'Gaucho', and Beck's 'Sea Change'.

The Steely Dan one for me was particularly annoying because (aside from being a massive 'Dan-fan') I read an interview with Elliott Scheiner where he said he outputs all his mixes to multiple formats, both digital and to 2" analog tape to 'future proof' them for formats that might come along down the road. It wasn't even a couple of years after the SACD came out and they did the DVD-A and sourced it from the DSD master when most likely there were probably both PCM and analog masters available, or at least a phone call to Scheiner away. Don't even get me started on the stereo mix on those releases, which is a horribly remastered version sourced from the original digital transfers done by Roger Nichols in the mid 80's. The Japanese stereo SACD (ostensibly sourced from some kind of safety tape) is a million miles better.

I assume Scheiner's habit of outputting to analog tape is why the credits for the new AF SACDs he's involved with list Gus Skinas doing an analog tape transfer for the 5.1 mix, ie. Scheiner is providing them with the 2" analog tape rather than 96/24 PCM files of his mixes.

Why would it matter if a DVD-A was sourced from a DSD master? The whole purpose of DSD, *originally*, was exactly that: to serve as an archival digital master format, to be converted to whatever PCM delivery format was required/desired.

Because DSD master = ultrasonic noise and no audio content above about 25kHz. Chances are they originally did this mix in PCM 10 years ago, so why would I want a 'pure audio' disc that went Analog multitracks -> PCM -> DSD -> PCM?

If it originated in DSD I'd rather have the DSD version because improvements in DAC technology going forward can yield better sound, whereas if you've done a transcode from DSD to PCM at some point, the best it could ever sound is what that transcode sounded like.

Mine arrived today; listening to it right now. Very active surround mix, seemingly good sonics so far as well. Is there a poll for this yet? I'll hold off a fuller review until then.

Back