Listening now to this cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just dusted off my Technics Cassette Tape player, I bought in 1986.
Not used used it for a long time.
Be interesting to see if it still works OK.
As I have quite a few cassette tapes.
Farmer Mike, perhaps it has morphed into a Dolby ATMOS killing machine while resting comfortably in suspended hibernation!

Farmer Mike, perhaps it has morphed into a Dolby ATMOS killing machine while resting comfortably in suspended hibernation!
If only eh Ralphie...😄
I'm ordering some tape head cleaner to give it a chance....if my memory serves me correctly, the Technics player was not working properly.
But maybe some TLC and Dolby Atmos music will magic it back to life.

If only eh Ralphie...😄
I'm ordering some tape head cleaner to give it a chance....if my memory serves me correctly, the Technics player was not working properly.
But maybe some TLC and Dolby Atmos music will magic it back to life.
I still scratch my head at how much blood, sweat and yes, tears, the hardware and even software manufacturers put into this format to make it sound 'somewhat' audiophile! Taking 15/30 ips master tapes and reducing them to 1 7/8 ips was a humungous stretch even back then!

My stance: Let sleeping 🐶 lie!

Last edited:
You dont want to celebrate Yankee ingenuity 4ears?
To get the cassette to deliver the results it was eventually able to is a testament to perseverance and adaptability. Its like getting square wheels to work.
Beerking its likely the rubber drive belts in your technics have deteriorated with age. You should start looking for a replacement kit online.

You dont want to celebrate Yankee ingenuity 4ears?
To get the cassette to deliver the results it was eventually able to is a testament to perseverance and adaptability. Its like getting square wheels to work.
Beerking its likely the rubber drive belts in your technics have deteriorated with age. You should start looking for a replacement kit online.
Jeffie, Yankee Ingenuity?....it was ALL Japanese! And yes, I did swallow the bait and have oodles of cassettes in every conceivable formulation stashed away in bins and there they shall lie!

BD~A 192/24, Jeffie! Accept NO substitutes!

R.480bbef6e7583b97ec79fee6b4f16ea9

As a follow up I was able to get my problem Hendrix cassette to play by spraying Dupont Silicone spray into the hubs and rotating the tape. So far it plays with no squeaking or stops. It should be spread on the slipsheets inside and on the tape.
I actually bought this to address a squeaky seatbelt in my car and it seems to have worked there too no more squeaking when the belt glides thru the mechanism.

Maybe I should spray my CDs next......

Last edited:
As a follow up I was able to get my problem Hendrix cassette to play by spraying 3M graphite spray into the hubs and rotating the tape. So far it plays with no squeaking or stops. It should be spread on the slipsheets inside and on the tape.
I actually bought this to address a squeaky seatbelt in my car and it seems to have worked there too no more squeaking when the belt glides thru the mechanism.

Maybe I should spray my CDs next......
Are you certain, Jeffie, that this wasn't the culprit causing the 'squeak?'

The Mini Mice looks like spun cotton? | Felt animals, Needle felted ...

I'm moving 700km in a week, so it's packing time... the last analog music source still working is a combo car player...
and some old cassettes and 8 track.

duplex-8-track-cassette-car-player-slika-216098545.jpg

I'm revisiting a 1972 p*ra*e tape which by its very title it was sourced from jukeboxes-only records... quality-wise is bottom line but the selection is groovy and while packing is enough:

bootleg_mc_1972.jpg

Said that it was sourced from jukebox-only records, here 's why: on the left side (cd cover made by me) thhere are the original promo pack of the "7 gettone d'oro" jb tags, 8 records in which all the A sides are stone cold classics even 52 years later (the two italian A-side, Orme and Nomadi, are for both the commercial breakout and for the Nomadi the band's anthem). Furthermore,
there's a italian jukebox-only single (not released commercially and nowhere else) of Aphrodite's Child Four Horsemen (edit of the album version). And it's funny how the pir*tes mixed up the titles in a weird way.... :)

gett.jpg

Attachments

• bootleg_mc_1972.jpg
    bootleg_mc_1972.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 0
Is that I nomadi song off their SQ album? I have an italian CD in SQ of that one been a long time since I listened.
Great compilation and gear. Va bene!

Is that I nomadi song off their SQ album? I have an italian CD in SQ of that one been a long time since I listened.
Great compilation and gear. Va bene!
No, that SQ was released 2 years later (1974)

Note my correction above I gave the wrong info about the spray I used different chemical involved.
Please don't spray graphite on your cassettes have no idea if that would help. Silicone is what I used.

I treated another couple of old cassettes with the silicone spray. Just got thru side one of a Rod Stewart tape that had terrible screeching and distortion. 80% of it is gone now. Will see how side 2 sounds. Maybe @4-earredwonder needs to get his cassettes out of his closet and play them again.

these are the instances where I was looking forward to the tape version if only because on the LP the cymbals and Hi Hats sound EQ'd out with no sizzle which makes me believe the mastering engineers went overboard with the de-esser. The cassette sounds NORMAL, not too bright but not muffled like on the vinyl counterpart.

I was noticing that the Chrome tapes were usually recorded much quieter than the NORMAL tapes, I guess it was because the "print through" was much louder on the Chrome ones---

Besides, I think "The same old Sun" is the most beautiful song that The APP EVER did...and I LOOOOVE Eric's voice, he had a very delicate and sweet delivery...
My00OTQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Back