May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly doubt that. I have no pastries at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad an unreleased Quad has finally seen the light of day, and it's cool that Bruce Botnik was charged with doing a 4.0 mix of another of her albums. But, sorry.... Joni just isn't really my jam. She has maybe a song or two that I like. I might still buy this.... but mind blowing?? Nah.
Yeah. My mind is still intact too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad an unreleased Quad has finally seen the light of day, and it's cool that Bruce Botnik was charged with doing a 4.0 mix of another of her albums. But, sorry.... Joni just isn't really my jam. She has maybe a song or two that I like. I might still buy this.... but mind blowing?? Nah.

Well, it is refreshing to see that the output of multi-channel music in physical formats has returned to where we can actually pick and choose what we'd like to buy. There were those lean years where we were so desperate for content that almost everything was an instant buy.

I would agree that Joni isn't exactly mind blowing. But an unreleased quad and a "new" quad definitely is.
As far as Joni goes, personally I'm not a huge fan, but Court and Spark is one of my all time favorite albums. I'm buying this box set just for that one. My CD-4 album (like many CD-4 albums) is a bit finicky at times.
Thank you @ForagingRhino and Rhino for doing this to not only keep quad alive but to breath new life into it!

Well, out of all the prospective boxsets, this is by far the most mind-blowing one to me. Personal preference is one thing, but quality-wise, it can’t get much better. I am stoked, and this is something we’ve been waiting a looong time for.
Now to decide whether to order from Rhino and endure the shipping hassle or wait for it to show up from other vendors…

I sincerely hope there might be a follow-up. Hejira and Don Juan…could be nice in surround too.

And, every time we get a new Quadio Box, that's one more box "out of the way and done"! The list is being narrowed and we can then speculate what could be next. I'm not much of Joni fan, which really means...never owned any of her complete albums and not so familiar with her past the hits.

And, every time we get a new Quadio Box, that's one more box "out of the way and done"! The list is being narrowed and we can then speculate what could be next. I'm not much of Joni fan, which really means...never owned any of her complete albums and not so familiar with her past the hits.
I have no idea what they might do so far as box sets. But I figure that as single Quadio disc releases I'd expect the priority list to include:

Randy Newman - Sail Away
Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly or Spitfire
Gordon Lightfoot - Cold on the Shoulder
Seals and Crofts - Diamond Girl
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Modern Jazz Quartet - (any available titles)
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
War - (any available titles)
Bread - Baby I'm a Want You
Bette Midler - Divine Miss M
Carly Simon - (any available titles)
Hot Tuna - (any available titles)

And I can't help but think that Foghat and J. Geils Band would be easier to get clearance on than the other two high-priority unissued quad masters. Rod Stewart would be a top pick of course.

And I'd hope that they are making major progress on a German / Japanese issued quad master for US release, as a special surprise. They have managed to include some surprises in these bundles, and I hope that continues.

I'm in the exact same category regarding never having owned any of her music. I could probably only name two or three of her hits (and that may be a stretch).
I'm really contemplating whether to purchase or not. At the moment my credit card is in limbo thanks to someone making a fraudulent purchase, so I have time to think about it. The only reason I would is just to be a completist with the Quadio releases.

If you ask me, the Chicago Quadio will never be topped by anything they could release in the future (at least by a single artist).

I'm in the exact same category regarding never having owned any of her music. I could probably only name two or three of her hits (and that may be a stretch).
I'm really contemplating whether to purchase or not. At the moment my credit card is in limbo thanks to someone making a fraudulent purchase, so I have time to think about it. The only reason I would is just to be a completist with the Quadio releases.

If you ask me, the Chicago Quadio will never be topped by anything they could release in the future (at least by a single artist).
You’ve got time as the box is not going to sell out within a short time frame.

But I think on an audiophile level as demo of how well a system performs in surround these Joni albums could show that off well. Great great sound quality anyway.

I have no idea what they might do so far as box sets. But I figure that as single Quadio disc releases I'd expect the priority list to include:

Randy Newman - Sail Away
Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly or Spitfire
Gordon Lightfoot - Cold on the Shoulder
Seals and Crofts - Diamond Girl
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Modern Jazz Quartet - (any available titles)
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
War - (any available titles)
Bread - Baby I'm a Want You
Bette Midler - Divine Miss M
Carly Simon - (any available titles)
Hot Tuna - (any available titles)

And I can't help but think that Foghat and J. Geils Band would be easier to get clearance on than the other two high-priority unissued quad masters. Rod Stewart would be a top pick of course.

And I'd hope that they are making major progress on a German / Japanese issued quad master for US release, as a special surprise. They have managed to include some surprises in these bundles, and I hope that continues.
Obviously, we all have somewhat different tastes but, for me, Bette Midler is now my #1 ask, followed by Jackson Browne.

The Chicago set will definitely be tough to beat!

Joni Mitchell - I know several women who think she’s an amazing singer, songwriter and musician. I think she’s an amazing poet.

As I noted, my wife and I were at one of the Universal Amphitheater performances that ended up on “Miles of Aisles” because she wanted to go.

These days, my wife doesn’t sit and listen to music. She’ll watch performances, but if her eyes can’t be engaged, she gets bored. There are some very good songs in there, so, yeah, I’ll buy it in the hopes that my wife will like it, but I’d be surprised if it ends up in the regular rotation.

I remember hearing Help Me on the radio when I was around 10 years old. I have been a fan ever since.
She’s coming out with a version that has new lyrics to celebrate the deluge of new surround sound releases:

Help me my bank account’s fallin’…

All of the above titles mentioned sound interesting, so Bring It On.

💰💰💰💰

[Edit: I should mention that I am so far behind that I haven't opened the Machine Head box set yet. It's still in the outer box from ImportCDs o_O]

Last edited:
Edit: I should mention that I am so far behind that I haven't opened the Machine Head box set yet. It's still in the outer box from ImportCDs o_O]
I haven’t played the US quad MH at powerfully loud levels just yet which I must do before I vote in the poll.

But anyway you must hear one of the mixes soon - it’s a major release in the quadrasonic galaxy of rock.

I’m leaning on a 10 rating based on the quad alone.

Back