Nashville Big Band Jazz Ensemble - Big Band Christmas Vols. 1 [DTS-CD] and 2 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerCaniac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi everyone,

Several months ago I dove deep into DTS-CDs with DTS Entertainment's Buy 2 get 1 free sale. Two of the discs I picked up were Big Band Christmas and Big Band Christmas - Volume 2. The former is a DTS-CD and the latter is a DVD-A with MLP 5.1/DTS 5.1/DD 2.0. They appear to be DTS Entertainment exclusives (i.e., unavailable on CD). The performers are known as the Nashville Big Band Jazz Ensemble. FYI, I've added the first disc to RateYourMusic.com here.

I am no expert in Big Band Jazz, and remember I've only got a 3.1 system at this point, but I got through the first disc the other night and was blown away. The fidelity was incredible! Dynamic and punchy with the sought after tight bass and clear highs, the performances were impressive and the arrangements very original. From the drums to the horns and solo brass performances, everything just jumps out into the room. The Ensemble isn't just going through the motions on this Christmas disc. I've listened to the first five tracks on the DVD-A and the fidelity and performance is just a continuation of the first disc. I'm always looking for the discs that will give me that feeling of "being there". This one is 5-stars all around and an easy reference disc, IMO!

To my knowledge, the second disc is still available for less than $15 and the first one is much harder to find. If you enjoy Christmas music with originality and Big Band music, these are MUST HAVES. I cannot imagine the 5.1 mixes would ruin what I have heard so far in 3.1, but I would look forward to someone else's comments on the surround mix! I should finally have my 5.1 system ready in a few weeks and will definitely follow up on the 5.1 mixes when I can.

Just wanted to see if I was the only one around here with these discs. Was anyone else as impressed as I was? I'd love to see a couple of review pages for these discs, but I realize these discs may not get a lot of response. These discs are hidden gems for sure.

Best,
Josh

Back