New Device that puts music in your head - no headphones

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No headphones or speakers required, 3D surround too:

https://apnews.com/article/new-tech-device-sound-beaming-noveto-38327ae5fe116080a5eaf2374eb0f5c8
Interesting to see where this goes.
I suspect it'll go nowhere. It isn't a new idea. Various companies have come up with such ultrasonic carrier systems before. There were various attempts to use such things to target PA announcements to individual people in railway stations and the like. Blighted by all kinds of real world problems caused by reflections and interference (apart from the fact that it isn't very hi-fi as the low carrier frequency restricts the usable bandwidth) they never live up to the hype..

They sure talk like itā€™s the next best thing since sliced bread; and -
Ramstein said a ā€œsmaller, sexierā€ version of the prototype will be ready for consumer release in time for Christmas 2021.

Ohhh Boy!

They sure talk like itā€™s the next best thing since sliced bread; and -
Ramstein said a ā€œsmaller, sexierā€ version of the prototype will be ready for consumer release in time for Christmas 2021.

Ohhh Boy!
Dogs might not enjoy the inaudible beams!

I suspect it'll go nowhere. It isn't a new idea. Various companies have come up with such ultrasonic carrier systems before. There were various attempts to use such things to target PA announcements to individual people in railway stations and the like. Blighted by all kinds of real world problems caused by reflections and interference (apart from the fact that it isn't very hi-fi as the low carrier frequency restricts the usable bandwidth) they never live up to the hype..
I agree that I don't think this is a working idea because how the heck can anything follow you around especially in your head without a device placed on your body close to your ears......there would need to be some extra device connected to you so that the sound beams could follow you around, or else there is no way it could work.

I read about this in the Post this morning. They even have a surround option. Oh well, time to re-buy everything we own again, I guess. Funny thing is, I can already hear music and have it follow me around whenever I want to access it. I am probably hearing it in MP3 mono, but who here hasn't had a song stuck in their head so badly that they can't get to sleep or shake that thing outta there?

I agree that I don't think this is a working idea because how the heck can anything follow you around especially in your head without a device placed on your body close to your ears......there would need to be some extra device connected to you so that the sound beams could follow you around, or else there is no way it could work.
Itā€™s their patented new ā€œextra sensory perception laser beamā€ technology.

Didnā€™t we just go through this with Yarra3D?

Didnā€™t we just go through this with Yarra3D?
Iā€™d never heard of the Yarra 3D but Iā€™ve had a quick look and itā€™s not really the same sort of thing. The Yarra does not use ultrasonic carrier beams. It is just a fairly ordinary soundbar but fitted with another in the long line of re-inventions of binaural crosstalk cancellation (like the old Carver Sonic Hologram Generator et al). They get rolled out every so often with great fanfare and a promise to change the world only to sink without trace (until someone else stumbles across the idea and thinks it will work this time)!

Head tracking is easy.

HomerJAU will hold off till it does ATMOS...

Iā€™ll hold off until it can play my current music, quad and 5.1 FLAC will do. But since I already have 3 surround systems at home Iā€™m not sure I need another.

I like to feel the music, I need large, loud full range speakers and good subs, this new tech wonā€™t do that.

Iā€™d never heard of the Yarra 3D but Iā€™ve had a quick look and itā€™s not really the same sort of thing. The Yarra does not use ultrasonic carrier beams. It is just a fairly ordinary soundbar but fitted with another in the long line of re-inventions of binaural crosstalk cancellation (like the old Carver Sonic Hologram Generator et al). They get rolled out every so often with great fanfare and a promise to change the world only to sink without trace (until someone else stumbles across the idea and thinks it will work this time)!
Thanks for the clarification. Of note, Yarra 3D was promoted as a wonder beamforming technology. I guess the only beamer we can trust right now is produced by BMW or, as Bob Marley once said, "it's my car mon; it stands for 'Bob Marley and the Wailers.'"

Back