Oppo UDP-203 dilemma

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allbrosca

I have a UDP-203 I purchased as soon as they came out. I recently went through a flood and it had some water damage and the disc tray does not open. Oppo won't repair if it if it had water damage but recommended that I replace the disc loader at a cost of $145 plus shipping to Canada plus whatever it would cost to get it installed. Decided to take it to a local technician first to see if there was any other damage before ordering the disc loader. He thinks the disc loader looks okay, but there are two circuit boards with corrosion damage and he thinks they should be replaced first. Oppo has the main circuit board ($240 plus shipping) and are trying to track down the other one (Input circuit board $27 plus shipping). There is no guarantee that this will fix it. Might still need a disc loader or a laser or who knows what. Probably will end up costing about $500 to repair. Trying to decide if I should do it or bite the bullet and get a replacement, maybe a Reavon UBR-X110. I know that a replacement 203 will be hard to find! I welcome any views from the forum while I decide what to do. I guess it will be moot if they don't find the other circuit board.

I have a UDP-203 I purchased as soon as they came out. I recently went through a flood and it had some water damage and the disc tray does not open. Oppo won't repair if it if it had water damage but recommended that I replace the disc loader at a cost of $145 plus shipping to Canada plus whatever it would cost to get it installed. Decided to take it to a local technician first to see if there was any other damage before ordering the disc loader. He thinks the disc loader looks okay, but there are two circuit boards with corrosion damage and he thinks they should be replaced first. Oppo has the main circuit board ($240 plus shipping) and are trying to track down the other one (Input circuit board $27 plus shipping). There is no guarantee that this will fix it. Might still need a disc loader or a laser or who knows what. Probably will end up costing about $500 to repair. Trying to decide if I should do it or bite the bullet and get a replacement, maybe a Reavon UBR-X110. I know that a replacement 203 will be hard to find! I welcome any views from the forum while I decide what to do. I guess it will be moot if they don't find the other circuit board.

Seriously, I'd bite the bullet and put the money towards another player! Spending over $500 [with s/h charges] on a unit which obviously has suffered extensive damage with unknown results not to mention a potential fire hazard would certainly preclude any attempts at repair.

Years ago, during a flood, I lost a VERY expensive KRELL MONOBLOCK and never even attempted to have it repaired. When I fired it up it was literal FIREWORKS and I just bit the bullet and substituted it with another very expensive amp to match the other KRELL monoblock which did survive the flood!

To have it repaired it probably would've cost thousands so extensive was the damage!

Seriously, I'd bite the bullet and put the money towards another player! Spending over $500 [with s/h charges] on a unit which obviously has suffered extensive damage with unknown results not to mention a potential fire hazard would certainly preclude any attempts at repair.

Years ago, during a flood, I lost a VERY expensive KRELL MONOBLOCK and never even attempted to have it repaired. When I fired it up it was literal FIREWORKS and I just bit the bullet and substituted it with another very expensive amp to match the other KRELL monoblock which did survive the flood!

To have it repaired it probably would've cost thousands so extensive was the damage!
Probably good advice Ralph-y

Back