Problems with Genesis Box Set DVD-A discs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearandloath

Has anyone had problems playing any of the 5.1 DVD-A discs from the box sets? A friend has an Oppo and a Pioneer 4K multi-format player and has tried playing Duke but has had issues with it. Sometimes it just won't load and other times it will load the menu but then glitches and locks and won't play the music. Same results in both players. He bought it to my house to test and I have the same model Oppo and a Sony UBP-X1100. It had the exact same issue in my Oppo but played fine in my Sony. He tried several other titles from the box sets and they were fine, and I tried several from mine, as well as Duke and they were all fine. The disc appears to be in pristine condition, no damage or rot visible.

For the record, I don't recall these being offered as DVD-A. They were offered as SACD + DVD-V and CD + DVD-V sets.
We have all ( Duke too) of the separate Genesis sacd/dvd -v -cd single discs. All play perfectly fine on four different models of Oppo. Bdp-83, 93, 103 and 203. Maybe a manufacture error on one in the box set?

My DVD copy of "Duke" plays fine in one of my players (Yamaha BD-A1020) but not the other. (Yamaha BD-A1040).

I don't believe I have this problem with any of the other Genesis discs but I haven't tried them all.

The 1040 is a bit finicky, however. It won't play any burned SACDs. I don't know if this is something Yamaha changed when they "updated" to the 1040, or if it's just a flaw with that particular unit.

Sometimes I have issues playing the DTS formats (Muted / garbled sound), but the Dolby digital and SACD play fine.

Back