Queen's first album gets deluxe edition, but disappointingly no surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has that deal actually been done? It was merely being talked about last I heard.

It's definitely complicated, so it doesn't seem as if it's been done. From Variety in June:

The catalog, which has been in play for several years and inching toward Sony for the past few months, is complicated by the group’s recorded-music rights for the U.S. and Canada, which were acquired by Disney, for an undisclosed price, at some point in the 2000s after an initial $10 million licensing deal that was struck in 1991. Those rights will remain with Disney in perpetuity, although certain of the bandmembers’ remaining royalties from them will go to Sony once the deal closes. Similarly, the group’s distribution deal, which is currently with Universal, will go to Sony in all territories outside the U.S. and Canada when it expires in 2026 or 2027.

7 discs, including the album remixed, but really disappointed there's no surround. And over £200 (currently) at Amazon or £150 at Queen's own store!

https://queenonlinestore.com/products/queen-1-super-deluxe-edition-boxset

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DCMDJ...hWw_aem__RhE8lIyMy_3cMLNKlbV9g&tag=shtv.uk-21
$200+ and no surround? I want to contribute to Brian May's post-stroke recovery fund, but this is too big of an ask! Hopefully, guys like Bruce Soord, who release ATMOS in down-to Earth prices, will rub off on some of these profiteers!

You would've thought with Brian May's interest in all things 3D he might well have included a surround disc, even if it was only available in the box set. Just like the Revolver release that wasn't to be, so not only The Beatles lose out on sales, Queen are doing the same thing. Must be great not to need money ;)
I'm still sore about the Revolver failure.... hope that they rectify this with a Rubber Soul physical disc; but I'm not holding my breath.

It's definitely complicated, so it doesn't seem as if it's been done. From Variety in June:
Distribution in the US and Canada for Queen has always been with a different company starting with Elektra when the rest of the world was EMI. This dates from early Queen doing a deal (which was terrible for the band) with production company Trident to get the first album made, and Trident then selling it to the record companies. Trident got rich for several albums, the band made nothing until Elton John's manager got them out from under Trident. He told them to go off and make the best album they could while he sorted out the legal issues. They made A Night At The Opera, he got them out from under Trident.

Queen 1 could have been a great album, I want to see what the remix has done for it. But I've ordered the double CD, I cannot justify the boxset.

Same here, I may end up ordering the double CD but I'll need to hear it first in order to judge whether the new mix and mastering are good. No boxset, that's for sure.

They just lost me and most of us here. If you have the original tapes, how much more money can it cost to create a surround sound mix. Saves me money to purchase something else. I wish we could get more Rhino releases at 20.00 apiece instead of these box sets with the book and extra 7 discs for over 100.00. I just care about the mix. I'm just glad that this format hasn't died.

I would like a physical disc of surround too (not just streaming) but the box set is a complete collection: lot of bonus tracks (some unreleased) and lots of previously rare photos and new essays to read. I’m 100% in 👍

Back